Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  2. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    1. Look where you wanna build it.
    2. Compact the base.
    3. Add stone base and compact for drainage and stability
    4. lay tire on side to start the wall.
    5. Pound in rebar.
    6. Fill tires with stone or shale and compact in tires.
    7. lay next row of tires and repeat step 6
    8. Fill voids in face of tire wall with bigger stones.
    9. Lay roofing paper and than galvanized metal lathe against tires and fasten with lathe screws.
    10. Mix stucco mix.
    11. Apply primary coat without color added and allow to dry.
    12. Apply second coat with coloring added unless a spray on stain is desired.

That's essentially the wall. What you do with it from there is up to the imagination.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Would make an awesome playhouse for the kiddos too, but DH has no imagination and dont want a crappied up yard! But its amazing what you can do with stucco!!! oh well... DOIT CHAD!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    well if it is so easy chad come show me lol just so i know what im doing

5. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you suggest then for what I'm looking for? I just like silkies because they are different and so pretty! LOL!! That would be awesome! Thanks for the offer! How much are you asking?

6. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Sal,

Difference is those are mortared which makes them even stronger. And the stucco makes a more attractive finished product. lol

7. silver1313

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    Nothing .... wed just have to find a day time and place to meet ....all the eggs in this hatch were donated by chad and heather .... Ill let ya know when they hatch

I like me EEs when they arent being booties and not laying .. mineare weird though that isnt really normal for EEs. White leghorn are not pretty but lay fairly well ... marans are pretty and lay pretty well ...

8. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Considering just building one and showing the process. At one time the garages got paid for the old tires. Now they have to pay to have them taken away and they are more than willing to give them to anyone that wants them. You could make a hybrid of my design and yours all using recycled material. Make the walls, use lumber and pallets to create a peaked roof the airspace in the pallets would act as a vent to allow air movement inside. And turn a small tire sideways or right side up as it would be on the car and make an access window/panel to reach in and clean and pull eggs. A piece of plexi-glass, a pair of hinges and you have a window and egg door.

9. silver1313

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    Also Salmon Favorelles (sp) are pretty and good egg layers too

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Yeah, but look at those applications! I could sooo see them in a house and its KEWL!! and that retaining wall against a very perfect entryway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by