Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

:hugs Oh my, I am so sorry for your loss. Those poor children. :hit. I know we can't do much, but I will be praying for your family.

On that note, my mother was a cafeteria lady at an elementary school for many years before she passed. They called the other day and said they are donating and commemorating a bench for her on Earth day. :) She would have preferred it to be a hammock though, haha! :lol:

That is wonderful that they are giving her a remembrance...I don't think a hammock would last quite as long! Lol

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if anyone feels that they have the flu, be sure to treat it seriously. About an hour ago, my otherwise healthy brother-in-law died from the flu. The same one that was going to move to a farm in two months and take a flock of my chicks and ducks.
He was about 49, my sister just turned 40. The boys are 13, and 10. My niece is nine.
omg, my deepest sympathy to you and your family

They are precious! I wanted Pekins in the worst way, and ended up with these boneheads. They are almost 7 weeks.
Are those Khaki Campbells? I have two of those that are 4 weeks and adore them. Didn't want Pekin but fell in love with Gimli and had to get two lol. I am trying very hard to find someone to get some female ducks from.

That is why it is so surprising that I would say it. You can beat me up, pull my hair and knock out my teeth, and I won't react much. Needles are not something I handle well. It looks like I found a reason that makes it important.
Just an FYI, depending on your current health status. There is another option. Ask your MD about Flu nasal spray. If you have Asthma however, its not typically an option.

Last edited:
Are those Khaki Campbells? I have two of those that are 4 weeks and adore them. Didn't want Pekin but fell in love with Gimli and had to get two lol. I am trying very hard to find someone to get some female ducks from.

I have six... They are supposed to be Pekin. Might be French White Muscovies. I might be finding another source for Pekin just in case. Regardless, when I know sexes I will post it here that I have so many females, and you can tell me then if you want the extras.

Just an FYI, depending on your current health status. There is another option. Ask your MD about Flu inhalation, nasal spray.  

Yes, I was actually thinking about a nasal spray.
I just can't believe it. The information is not readily available yet, but it seems like he died at home of a heart attack due to the virus.

I am trying to figure out what to do about the funeral. I do not like funerals, but with three children, they need me to be there. they have two au they have two aunts on his side, but the children do not like them as much as they like my oldest sister, my youngest brother's wife, and me. Besides, my brother-in-law's sisters will be too deep in mourning.
So, if anyone lives around Houtzdale, please private message me if you think you might be able to do something. I can't really say what "something" is. I don't have a predator problem, so I can leave the pop door open. I can leave plenty of food and water for while I'm gone. I'm not worried about the eggs piling up, there are plenty of places for them to lay. I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is the inside birds. The six ducklings may or may not be okay for a few days. The eight week old chick will have to be put down. He move himself away from the food and water, but is less likely to get himself back. I move him out of his droppings and the food/water to him or him to it.
Maybe someone to take a brooder of ducklings for a few days if I don't think of something else.

My oldest sister told me that 13 months ago, when my brother-in-law's mother passed of cancer, my youngest nephew told her that he just realized during the funeral that someday it would be his mom and dad up there. My sister hugged him, and told him that was a long long time away. :hit

@fisherlady, looks like your ladies have passed the broody gene on. Ana is sitting tight in the nest box, growling at anything that reaches in lol. I may give her (and my other broody) a couple eggs tomorrow.

I have six... They are supposed to be Pekin. Might be French White Muscovies. I might be finding another source for Pekin just in case. Regardless, when I know sexes I will post it here that I have so many females, and you can tell me then if you want the extras.
Yes, I was actually thinking about a nasal spray.
I just can't believe it. The information is not readily available yet, but it seems like he died at home of a heart attack due to the virus.

Dehydration can cause electrolyte imbalances, normally can be handled by folks but severe dehydration or a previously unknown cardiac arrhythmia tendancy can create the right combination for a fatal cardiac event.
It is also possible for the infection to cause an inflammation of the heart muscle (pericarditis) which again can lead to fatal arrhythmia.
Severe dehydration and it's electrolyte imbalances can also cause systemic organ failures secondary to shock (low volume, poor perfusion)

Understanding some of the physical effects won't help with the pain and anger of loosing your BIL, but it can help prevent future problems by increasing awareness of just how nasty a case of the flu can be.

Back
Top Bottom