Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thera a guy in Hastings that had white crested black polish bantams for sale for $3.50 each. He always sells out fast though.
How far are you from Altoona/Ebensburg? I may be interested in a couple. Are they bearded?

Yes, they are bearded. They are also unsexed, too (a bit too young to tell). I'm about 2 hours away, though.

Does anyone here have chickens in the woods? We looked at a property today that looks promising, but has 8 acres, 95% of which are wooded. We would be clearing trees for years. I'm sure there are lots of predators too, so my fencing would have to be top notch.
Just looking for some ideas...

The house has lot of potential, but oh, what about my girls?! :lol:

Does anyone here have chickens in the woods? We looked at a property today that looks promising, but has 8 acres, 95% of which are wooded. We would be clearing trees for years. I'm sure there are lots of predators too, so my fencing would have to be top notch.

Some of my escapees wander into my wooded area. Over the winter they rotated in the points during the snowstorm. Eventually predators got them. They preferred the grass area for foraging.

Goats like wooded areas vines and trees and poison ivy....yummmmm.

You may want to look at electrified netting to provide a relatively predator safe area for them.

Ours love the woods behind our place, but it is heavily patrolled by the dogs. Woods are fine if you can provide a clear cut somewhere to act as a safety zone, predators like cover, creating some open and mown paths can help give roosters line of sight areas for early warning. A secure run area is a must though for when you aren't home or the dogs can't be out. Ours is chain link.

Ours love the woods behind our place, but it is heavily patrolled by the dogs. Woods are fine if you can provide a clear cut somewhere to act as a safety zone, predators like cover, creating some open and mown paths can help give roosters line of sight areas for early warning. A secure run area is a must though for when you aren't home or the dogs can't be out. Ours is chain link.

I don't like the chain link I like the welded wire dog kennels and have chicken wire over top of half of it and then the other half is covered with tin. And my hens and rooster like to go dig through the leaves down in the ditch, the woods, the mulch of the flower beds. You name it the have it destroyed mainly the flower beds so I have to chase them out of those daily and they also are able to free range where ever they want as long as they arnt near the road or somehwere off by them selves like one or two hens by them selves somehwhere. And the only reason my chickens like the woods is because they like to dig through the leaves and dirt so if you mow paths and stuff they arnt probably going to use them any ways.

Had the ladies and gentleman outside for a little today so I could clean out the pen. I can't wait until the coop is done. Almost there!!

I don't like the chain link I like the welded wire dog kennels and have chicken wire over top of half of it and then the other half is covered with tin. And my hens and rooster like to go dig through the leaves down in the ditch, the woods, the mulch of the flower beds. You name it the have it destroyed mainly the flower beds so I have to chase them out of those daily and they also are able to free range where ever they want as long as they arnt near the road or somehwere off by them selves like one or two hens by them selves somehwhere. And the only reason my chickens like the woods is because they like to dig through the leaves and dirt so if you mow paths and stuff they arnt probably going to use them any ways.

The chain link is strong enough to stop anything except a bear, and used chain link fencing can sometimes be found for a reasonable price, we have a smaller wire around the bottom to prevent chicks from getting out.

The mown paths are not intended for the chickens to use for grazing, they are open areas to allow better sighting of predators moving into the area.

Back
Top Bottom