Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

They look awesome...

I was in Maryland over the weekend visiting relatives and fishing, got to go crabbing twice with cousins who fish commercially, was great! Now back to work today but I think I worked harder on the crabbing boats! LOL

Trout lines or traps??? blue crabe are the best....

Does anyone here have chickens in the woods? We looked at a property today that looks promising, but has 8 acres, 95% of which are wooded. We would be clearing trees for years. I'm sure there are lots of predators too, so my fencing would have to be top notch.
Just looking for some ideas...

The house has lot of potential, but oh, what about my girls?!
lol.png

Anne:

You've seen my place...its about 1/3 wooded....I have had alot of predators problems...mostly they go 'down there' for a while then something spooks them and they run up the hill to hide in the bushes....bushes are important for hawk protection....for foxes I really don't think it matters....if determined they will get them one way or the other...for other predators, I really don't know....

Well Folks:

Looks like one of my young CCL girls is not doing well....she's seemed a bit lethargic for about the past two weeks...(she's the omega)....well a couple of nights ago she started sleeping in a nest box...today she decided to stay in the coop....she is seriously undersized for her age and her tail feather are bent down...I cleaned her butt a while back thinking there may be an issue...well, left some treats for her and she is not interested...nothing else just failing to thrive or she has some internal genetic defects...I am getting a learning lesson in how had it is to set up a breeding program for a backyard situation....

Anne:

You've seen my place...its about 1/3 wooded....I have had alot of predators problems...mostly they go 'down there' for a while then something spooks them and they run up the hill to hide in the bushes....bushes are important for hawk protection....for foxes I really don't think it matters....if determined they will get them one way or the other...for other predators, I really don't know....

My property has lots of woods so my hens and roosters are there day and they don't come back until a it's starting to get dark. I haven't had any problems wih predators except I have had a hen gone missing about a week ago but no sign of feathers or anything nothing got into the coop I think I must have locked her out of e coop a nit there and something got her but she was pretty heavy and was missing most of her wing feathers and it was all she could do to get up on a roost that was two feet off the ground so she couldn't have got up and away from anything. But I have been counting all 21 heads now every night to make sure I am not locking anyone out again. But anwaus my yard has a good few huge trees they hide under and there are pine trees maple trees these two bushes that where here when we bought the place but no one ever trimmed them so now those so called bushes are over 10 feet tall and they were just trimed down by the power company a few feet off the tops. And my moms flower beds they hide under the plants and flowers and rose bushes. So they have lots of places to hide and they also have the cars our camper and our trailer that we haul things on plus hey have there run and coop to head torwards incase of a hawk or something.

Well Folks:

Looks like one of my young CCL girls is not doing well....she's seemed a bit lethargic for about the past two weeks...(she's the omega)....well a couple of nights ago she started sleeping in a nest box...today she decided to stay in the coop....she is seriously undersized for her age and her tail feather are bent down...I cleaned her butt a while back thinking there may be an issue...well, left some treats for her and she is not interested...nothing else just failing to thrive or she has some internal genetic defects...I am getting a learning lesson in how had it is to set up a breeding program for a backyard situation....

Is she laying age if so does she have an egg in her? And what does her poo look like? Have you checked out the poop chart? And I am also trying to start a backyard breeding business.

Back
Top Bottom