Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So it is too windy to be out on the lake fishing today....so what to do? Go to a resale kitchen supplier and buy a new (to me) 6 burner commercial stove. Scored one which had been in a church kitchen and was hardly used! I'm totally crazy about finally getting one this size for my baking and cooking.... finally will be able to fit my pressure canners and pots all on the stove!!

Wow, that's awesome! I just told my husband the other day that we need one like that for all our canning lol

Uh oh, bees may be next on our list. We just found some cheap but good be boxes and equipment nearby lol. If this all pans out, I'm going to bed some advice from any of you experts who have bees!

Auro:

I also checked into this....Bees/hives are having a hard time....I think I remember that there was over 50% attrition on hives(from PA AG)... buy a few to start....also, join your local bee keepers club, they will be able to guide you...I think the hardest part is the first week you install the NUC....and Nucs are way better than packages...my two cents....

Auro:

I also checked into this....Bees/hives are having a hard time....I think I remember that there was over 50% attrition on hives(from PA AG)... buy a few to start....also, join your local bee keepers club, they will be able to guide you...I think the hardest part is the first week you install the NUC....and Nucs are way better than packages...my two cents....

Thanks. I did hear about that. We actualy have a ton of wild honey bees all over the yard this year and we were hoping to maybe catch some. I'm not sure how possible that is but if it is, we'd like to try. If not, I have a friend in the next town over that has bees that maybe I could get some off of. We'll see. Still waiting on the person to get back to me right now so I'm jumping ahead here a bit lol

It's fairly easy to catch a swarm if it is within reach.
If you want to catch a wild swarm, you need a trap. You need a hive body and frames (preferably with drawn comb). Then bait it with swarm pheromone or lemongrass oil.
If you find a swarm within reach, you can just shake them into a hive body and carry them off.

If you have bees flying around, they're not necessarily wild. They are just as likely visitors from a neighbor's hives that are within a couple miles.

If you want bees, you need to get equipment first. Initially you need a deep hive body and frames with foundation, a bottom board, an inner cover, an outer cover and a hive stand. As soon as you get bees, you'll need more equipment. Another deep body and frames and either shallow or medium supers with frames and foundation.

Last edited:
@fisherlady
I have another brown and another green layer!!! I have found a brown pullet egg yesterday and today, and found a green egg in the run today. I cannot say where she would have laid the egg. The wind blew the door shut.
:weee

@fisherlady
I have another brown and another green layer!!! I have found a brown pullet egg yesterday and today, and found a green egg in the run today. I cannot say where she would have laid the egg. The wind blew the door shut.
:weee

That is great!
It is cool to see how many green eggers are still in the genes from our backyard mutts, lol

Newbie chicken question: I am currently away on vacation. My,chicken sitter states one of my buff Orpington hens is refusing to get out of the nesting box at night. She says she "purrs" at her when she tries to push her out of the box. She's afraid of the hen. Could she be broody, or sick. As I said I am not there to know what's Truely happening. MY BO is only a year old. And have never been broody before.

Tiny has just discovered her reflection... and selfies.
1f602.png

That's awesome! :lol:

OMG Dish satellite. What shitty **** that is. We have that, we just moved out of town last year, and that was our ONLY option, and we hate it with a passion, they cap your internet (which sucks for a family of IPad toting kids) plus the "fast internet" you have, is very not fast and not really reliable. 

Our neighbor forked out 10k to have comcast run wires to their house last month, so not as soon as our contract runs out, we will have our comcast cable again. Yay! 

Wow! My husband would definitely do that too. At least it would be a business expense, since he is in the IT field.

So it is too windy to be out on the lake fishing today....so what to do? Go to a resale kitchen supplier and buy a new (to me) 6 burner commercial stove. Scored one which had been in a church kitchen and was hardly used! I'm totally crazy about finally getting one this size for my baking and cooking.... finally will be able to fit my pressure canners and pots all on the stove!!

:eek:. Look at that beauty! My only gripe about moving from the suburbs is that I will have an electric stove initially... Propane powered stove soon. I wonder ow much that costs to hook up...

Newbie chicken question: I am currently away on vacation. My,chicken sitter states one of my buff Orpington hens is refusing to get out of the nesting box at night. She says she "purrs" at her when she tries to push her out of the box. She's afraid of the hen. Could she be broody, or sick. As I said I am not there to know what's Truely happening. MY BO is only a year old. And have never been broody before.

Broody! Most definitely. BO's are well known for that trait, and of course she would pull that while you are trying to relax on vacation. Lol! We are finally away on our vacation too. I think we are about 100 miles from Ohio, we drove for 5 hours today. Time for bed now....

That's awesome! :lol:
Wow! My husband would definitely do that too. At least it would be a business expense, since he is in the IT field.
:eek:. Look at that beauty! My only gripe about moving from the suburbs is that I will have an electric stove initially... Propane powered stove soon. I wonder ow much that costs to hook up...
Broody! Most definitely. BO's are well known for that trait, and of course she would pull that while you are trying to relax on vacation. Lol! We are finally away on our vacation too. I think we are about 100 miles from Ohio, we drove for 5 hours today. Time for bed now....

I don't like propane I like an electric stove.

Broody

Back
Top Bottom