Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: I'm aware of the lighting option, but I'd rather let my girls have a rest in the winter. Since I'm not dependent on their eggs, I'm okay with buying eggs. I'd rather see them have a long and healthy life if possible, even if it means it costs me a bit more over the long run.

Do you guys have any ideas for cheap coop insulation? I t looks like it will set me back over $100 at least if I buy some foam board at Lowes. I will be covering the insulation with feed bad material to make sure they don't pick at it.

I'm aware of the lighting option, but I'd rather let my girls have a rest in the winter. Since I'm not dependent on their eggs, I'm okay with buying eggs. I'd rather see them have a long and healthy life if possible, even if it means it costs me a bit more over the long run.

Do you guys have any ideas for cheap coop insulation? I t looks like it will set me back over $100 at least if I buy some foam board at Lowes. I will be covering the insulation with feed bad material to make sure they don't pick at it.
I don't insulate, but it you were doing side walls, how about packing in dried leaves or straw? Hard to get on the underside of a roof, I guess.

I'm aware of the lighting option, but I'd rather let my girls have a rest in the winter.  Since I'm not dependent on their eggs, I'm okay with buying eggs.  I'd rather see them have a long and healthy life if possible, even if it means it costs me a bit more over the long run.

Do you guys have any ideas for cheap coop insulation?  I t looks like it will set me back over $100 at least if I buy some foam board at Lowes.  I will be covering the insulation with feed bad material to make sure they don't pick at it.

I don't insulate, but it you were doing side walls, how about packing in dried leaves or straw? Hard to get on the underside of a roof, I guess.

Straw is an excellent idea! I knew somebody would have a great plan!

I just picked up paint today from a guy I met through craiglist. He had 5 gallon buckets of Behr Marquee paint (which is a better one I believe). $50 for a 5 gallon bucket. A lovely dark blue color, called club navy. I also picked up a used pressure washer today. So I may pressure wash the coop this weekend and get started on the painting. We shall see..

I just picked up paint today from a guy I met through craiglist.  He had 5 gallon buckets of Behr Marquee paint (which is a better one I believe).  $50 for a 5 gallon bucket.  A lovely dark blue color, called club navy.  I also picked up a used pressure washer today.  So I may pressure wash the coop this weekend and get started on the painting.  We shall see..

Those both sound great! Pressure washing is so satisfying, and the navy will look sharp!

GM all: Well, its now been a week since my last eggs....as far as I can tell, a couple of the girls are molting and the others have just gone on strike....c'est la vie....
Ours are hard into their moltt, they are pretty scraggly right now for sure. And we are worming, so not as hard to pitch eggs while the count is down anyways.
I am slowly getting fewer eggs. I'm down to six brown eggs and ironically my older Pekin per day. Hmm. :lol: Brightpennies and I just couldn't be sure if she was taking the male or female Pekin. I don't think we were wrong, but the female should have been laying already. Anyway, I have seventeen female birds of laying age. Three I have yet to see an egg from.
You will be swimming in eggs when they all get back to it!
I was feeling bad about my egg haul every day, but I guess my girls aren't doing too bad! I now have 14 chickens and am getting 1-2 eggs per day. BUT, I only have 5 hens of laying age at the moment, and two are laying regularly (barred rock and blue ameraucana), about 4-5 eggs/week. I haven't seen an egg from the other three adults since they molted recently--my blrw is molting now, and is the most pitiful looking molter I've ever had. Large naked patches all over, including her head and bottom--looked like she'd been plucked for dinner, poor thing. I also took this pic of my OE cockerel and his BCM girlfriend yesterday that I liked and wanted to share: He's handsome--I'm going to miss him whenever I find him a new home. But he really should go. Yesterday was the first day without the slightly older (and much larger) Brahma cockerel here, and I feel like OE's crowing frequency shot way up. Before it had been less than once per hour (a few crows in a row, then silence for 60-90 minutes or more), but yesterday it felt constant, maybe every 15 minutes or so. I was chasing him around throwing pebbles at his feet to distract him. It seemed like maybe he was filling the power void that the Brahma left, or that he just felt less inhibited. I decided to leave them in the coop most of the day today, since it's so wet and miserable out. Two main benefits--it'll keep it quieter for our neighbors, and I won't have to leave the dogs outside in the rain all day to help guard the chickens from the hawks. A small hawk, probably a Coopers Hawk, dive bombed our flock TWICE in the last week WHILE we were out working in the yard. Cheeky little jerk. The chickens squawked and the hawk flew off, but I'm not happy about it. And a hawk (maybe the same one) killed two of my neighbor's little pullets she had out in the yard last week, right in the middle of the afternoon, so I think they've been encouraged and emboldened. :mad:
Hope the hawks give your flock a break... Beautiful picture!
Those both sound great! Pressure washing is so satisfying, and the navy will look sharp!
X2, the blue will be great, and will be good color for doing accent or trim colors on!

So since it is following us home we get to keep it, right??.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom