Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Sorry another question for you wonderfully helpful people. This is Cleo our mystery mix Bantam. I think she is getting picked but just want to check and make sure.

Also she when we got her she had more toes that were curled and malformed. They have almost all fallen off. I assumed it is a genetic thing but I'm curious if you guys have any thoughts. She gets around fine and seems happy otherwise. Lays regularly.

yoopergirl---- I candled a few eggs tonight. Im not completely sure what I'm looking for but I did see some veining and they weren't clear like a fresh egg I checked for comparison! And is it possible that I could see a chick moving in a banty egg almost halfway done or was it just from turning it?!?[/quote]

Halfway to lockdown? 9 days... you can see much more than too early or late. I usually can tell around Day 4 what is veining . But I don't toss anything for awhile. Occasionally, I'm surprised. A couple of days can make a difference. As an example, one egg this week, looked strange. I was with my teen girls and they confirmed it looked like a late death. I wrote down the number, and put it back in the bator (after confirming no smell etc). Last night (one night later) pulled it and there was a wiggly chick. So glad I took my time on that.

There is a great picture diary that I keep tagged. It has pics of candled eggs day-by-day. It's something like: "!!!Chicks are here!!!..." if you can't find it, let me know and I'll pull up the exact title.

If you are asking about chick movement, I find it helpful to put the light through the large end as usual and look to the edges where the dark and light meets. Sometimes there's an ebb and flow of movement, other times, especially around day 15 on, feet or something else .

Last edited:
It's alright, I never really knew about all that till my dad explained it to me one summer. But yes protect the chickens!! Depending on where you're located in our wonderful state your local gun club should have a gun safety course you can take. I know the NRA has educational programs out there, my mom was an instructor at one point. I think their website should have something? If you can't find any I would honestly start by asking your neighbor to show you how. I need to actually sort through the safe and pick out my varmit gun. We've got a lot to choose from, though I might just go with the classic .22 Magnum. That was Dad's long range groundhog gun. If all else fails and you can't seem to learn about guns/can't get one. There is another solution. It's gonna sound hilariously weird but I'm not joking. 

You might want to look into a Spear. My Dad took down a rabid groundhog with this exact spear before. If that's a bit too much money they actually do have some cheaper options (I swear by Cold Steel, just saying). 

Sorry if that's a bit extreme or too out there for you, but I am the one who's planning on putting in heavy duty hooks inside the coop so I can sleep in there with my hammock in case of critters.... :oops:

Dedication!! I'm up for it... my daughter and I took a shooting class last year but it wasn't for a rifle. It would be helpful to take a class on the other. Thank you!

yoopergirl---- I candled a few eggs tonight. Im not completely sure what I'm looking for but I did see some veining and they weren't clear like a fresh egg I checked for comparison! And is it possible that I could see a chick moving in a banty egg almost halfway done or was it just from turning it?!?

Halfway to lockdown? 9 days... you can see much more than too early or late. I usually can tell around Day 4 what is veining . But I don't toss anything for awhile. Occasionally, I'm surprised. A couple of days can make a difference. As an example, one egg this week, looked strange. I was with my teen girls and they confirmed it looked like a late death. I wrote down the number, and put it back in the bator (after confirming no smell etc). Last night (one night later) pulled it and there was a wiggly chick. So glad I took my time on that.

There is a great picture diary that I keep tagged. It has pics of candled eggs day-by-day. It's something like: "!!!Chicks are here!!!..." if you can't find it, let me know and I'll pull up the exact title.

If you are asking about chick movement, I find it helpful to put the light through the large end as usual and look to the edges where the dark and light meets. Sometimes there's an ebb and flow of movement, other times, especially around day 15 on, feet or something else .[/quote]
Thank you! I found it and marked it. Very helpful!!

Evening all!
I got the chance to sit and hang out with my 5 to 6 week old chicks this evening. I'm trying really hard to keep these guys calm and curious about people instead of skittish. At one point four of them had climbed up onto my lap so I think I'm doing an OK job! The first one up was the BO pullet that got bloodied up after her escape several days ago. She has a big scab on her neck but appears to be doing OK. She's a real sweetheart and ever since the other day she's always the first one to come see me. Another BO that came up to see me I am almost positive is a cockerel. His comb is already starting to grow a little I can see the start of his red waddles. I noticed something interesting and I figured I'd show you all the picture. There was one little spot on his comb that had turned bright red. I was wondering if anyone had ever seen this before. It almost looked like blood but it's not.
Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom