Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

If you don't mind if the roo becomes dinner someday then you can throw him in. I don't really want any roosters anymore because they are always so aggressive but if he ends up being a nice boy then hubby may be able to talk me into keeping him. Thank you so much!
Works for me! Have you butchered roos before. I don't really want to do it myself but I don't know where to get it done?

Works for me! Have you butchered roos before. I don't really want to do it myself but I don't know where to get it done?

Ugh I have. I believe we did 4. I hate hate hate doing it so much. But I could not tolerate the aggressive ones anymore. Breaks my heart every time though. I have 3 young roos now that we probably will butcher. None of them are showing signs of being nice at all. Always bullying the girls. :mad: Maybe someday I'll learn to caponize them.

When you get to doing it, I suggest doing the one roo you hate the most first. Do them one at a time, like one a day or whenever you are comfortable with. We did 3 at a time the very first time we did it and it took us forever. I suggest using a cone but we didn't have one so we tied them up by the feet and hubby didn't have the heart to use an axe so he used his handgun. I could only stomach a few bites of dinner though. It takes some getting used to, I guess...:sick

I have 13 little Bantam roos I dont know what to do with too. Most are actually super friendly and I love having them but its way too many. Hoping I can find homes for them.

I have 13 little Bantam roos I dont know what to do with too. Most are actually super friendly and I love having them but its way too many. Hoping I can find homes for them.

I wish I could help you out with those. I suggest letting them grow if you can't find homes. Then once they get big enough or aggressive enough, start butchering them one by one until the flock calms down. I thought I would love having a rooster but with all the fighting and then over-mating the girls, I've had enough. I want to learn to caponize them so I don't have to kill them.

I did find a thread on here that had pretty good step by step pics for that. Ive lucked out so far. Oliver my RIR is very docile. I can even pic him up if I have to and hes never been aggressive. And Zappa my little frizzled Bantam roo is good too. They actually hang out together all day. Have a BLR Wyandotte roo getting older and he is really friendly so far as well. Fingers crossed that he stays that way.

I did find a thread on here that had pretty good step by step pics for that. Ive lucked out so far. Oliver my RIR is very docile. I can even pic him up if I have to and hes never been aggressive. And Zappa my little frizzled Bantam roo is good too. They actually hang out together all day. Have a BLR Wyandotte roo getting older and he is really friendly so far as well. Fingers crossed that he stays that way.

Lucky you. I haven't had a nice roo yet. :confused:

Good afternoon all:

Had a visit from a fox today....was out feeding the chooks and the dog was standing guard (sniffing the air)...the Roos started making noise as the pooch charged the fence line....I looked up to see the fox running off....this one had settled in the neighbor's yard and was scoping out the flock....the pooch smelled him and got a fix on her position...and went to chase her....I have never had a dog with a better nose.....I was amazed....

Here are my boys!
20170523_184526.jpg
20170523_184524.jpg

Zappa
20170523_184514.jpg

And Oliver
I remember being so worried about putting them together and now I can't imagine one without the other lol. Zappa will hopefully be a daddy soon....

Back
Top Bottom