Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Yes, you head out to the coop with your chef apron on, cayenne in one hand spatula in the other and tell them, "whoever doesn't get laying is donating wings for the Superbowl". Works like a charm.

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG] That's how I got mine laying!

3. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    or if you don't have a chef apron, you sprinkle Cayenne on their food, I've heard it stimulates production. Although I haven't tried this myself. Maybe I will for Momma2my's sake.

4. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I have an apron. tie-dyed, and cow print. Yep all in one...it was custom made lol

5. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I'm getting 6-8/day from 9 hens. I don't think that's too shabby

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I have nothing to trade at the moment.....

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    cayenne treatment:
    mix cayenne pepper into the feed . Old wives tale but we tried it last year and we got an increase in eggs in a few days. DD tried it too with her bantams and it jumpstarted them too. Add enough to slightly color the feed for a few days.
    I want to wait until most of the new feathers are in and the hens look good. We are pouring on the BOSS right now. My theory is once the feathers are looking good they should have the energy to put out eggs. I believe in resting them, but some are inclined to take advantage!

YES.. got DH to agree to replace his 5 big black orpingtons who are now going into their 4th year. They are his chickens but I manage the flock. He just feeds and enjoys them. The farmer in me says they have to produce! i did promise he could replace them in spring. We'll just get a few babies from hinkjc :)
    [​IMG]
    Here's DH's favorite FBCM Mufasa and his ladies: FBCMs and olive eggers ( FBCM hen x blue egger tailed Arcauna roo) We will hatch this year's babies from this group.
    And i wouldn't mind hatching NYD, but i don't want to raise them in January and February. Don't have the place for it.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
  9. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize yours weren't laying.... Maybe Chad's chooks can give all ours a pep talk? I would go out there RIGHT NOW with the cayenne....except then the goats would all follow me back to the house. Everyone is fed and watered, and the goats are staying put. So I don't wanna go out and temp them into fence jumping or they will spend the whole day doing this:

[​IMG]

"Hey! Can we come in? We just wanna lay on the couch, eat popcorn n watch TV."

10. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

OMG, tooooo cute Blarney!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by