Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi all I'm in NY, little more than an hour from Erie PA. I'm willing to drive. Anyone got any blue egg layer hatching eggs? Not EE, I need true blue egg genetics.

Olive eggers might be fun too. Also interested in duck or goose eggs. Incubators warm, love to pick some up this weekend if I find anything interesting.

Thanks!

Most of my blue eggs are being shipped out on Monday but the week after I should have some. I'll have cream crested legbar eggs, blue egg laying black sex links, and possibly sex linked olive eggers if everyone keeps laying. As long as my ducks don't go broody, I'll have muscovy duck eggs too. I'm just outside of Patton, PA.

Most of my blue eggs are being shipped out on Monday but the week after I should have some. I'll have cream crested legbar eggs, blue egg laying black sex links, and possibly sex linked olive eggers if everyone keeps laying. As long as my ducks don't go broody, I'll have muscovy duck eggs too. I'm just outside of Patton, PA.
A combo pack of those would be fun! I don't know nearly enough about sex linked chickens. Had no idea anyone had them laying blue. They sound great!

A combo pack of those would be fun! I don't know nearly enough about sex linked chickens. Had no idea anyone had them laying blue. They sound great!
"Sex linked" is a genetic formula to make the chicks sexable by down color (or feather growth), it doesn't define the egg color, but you could think that, since no hatchery sells sexlinks that lay any color than brown. I create blue egg sexlinks several years ago because I love the black ameraucanas, but was frustrated at how long it too to determine the sex. The "Blue Egg Black Sexlinks" (as I named them) are easily sexable and the hens look almost identical to a black Ameraucana hen, except they lay a *lot* better!
It would be trivial to create black sexlinks that lay white, olive, light gree, or dark brown eggs too, I just find the real demand is for blue eggs around here.

What a great creation! I read a great deal and I'm amazed this eluded me. So do they pass the blue egg genetic along predictably like Ameraucana do? Cross to a marans get an Olive Egger?

I'd love to get some of these in the bator asap!

Fluffybutt--I just got back from the Ace Hardware on 926. They have SL and white Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Australorps, Delawares, Buff Orpingtons and two types of Rocks--all female.4-5 bucks each with 4 chick minimum. If I didn't have a sick chicken inside as well as my baby Barenvelders, it would have been hard to resist a white wyandotte, a rock and an australorp. I have heard great things about australorpes.

What a great creation! I read a great deal and I'm amazed this eluded me. So do they pass the blue egg genetic along predictably like Ameraucana do? Cross to a marans get an Olive Egger?

It would be a 50% chance of them passing along the blue egg gene since they carry both the blue egg gene and white egg gene.

They are not intended to be a new breed to use for future generations. I raise the parent breeds and make the cross each year, just like hatcheries do. For predictable progeny that lay lots of blue eggs, you will not do better than Cream Legbars, but if you just want a prolific blue egg layer and don't care about the future generations, either blue egg hybrid works great. My other hybrid, that I call a Zebrina, is a black barred, crested blue egg layer -- a cross of Cream Legbars and California Greys. This is my first year selling them, but I absolutely expect them to be the best ever blue egg layers, and completely unique looking. The Blue Egg Black Sexlinks look like black Ams, these resemble the Cali Greys, but the crest and more docile personality belie their Legbar heritage.

If you want a great Olive Egger and have Black Copper Marans, use Cream Legbar pullets. You add some of them to a pen of BCM's and the blue eggs from that pen will produce black sexlink olive eggers, probably with crests and feathered legs.

They are not intended to be a new breed to use for future generations. I raise the parent breeds and make the cross each year, just like hatcheries do. For predictable progeny that lay lots of blue eggs, you will not do better than Cream Legbars, but if you just want a prolific blue egg layer and don't care about the future generations, either blue egg hybrid works great. My other hybrid, that I call a Zebrina, is a black barred, crested blue egg layer -- a cross of Cream Legbars and California Greys. This is my first year selling them, but I absolutely expect them to be the best ever blue egg layers, and completely unique looking. The Blue Egg Black Sexlinks look like black Ams, these resemble the Cali Greys, but the crest and more docile personality belie their Legbar heritage.

If you want a great Olive Egger and have Black Copper Marans, use Cream Legbar pullets. You add some of them to a pen of BCM's and the blue eggs from that pen will produce black sexlink olive eggers, probably with crests and feathered legs.
Thanks for the info. Getting some certain blue eggs is my main interest, with olive eggs a possible extra attraction. I have a couple maran pullets, cuckoo and splash, that I thought I could use. All the mentioned breeds would work for me, comes down to what eggs I can get I guess.

Back
Top Bottom