Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Any guess on sexing this one? I am highly suspicious that it is a roo. It is a mix from one of my EE (I think). Do EEs and Ameracaunas have a smaller comb even earlier on that makes them harder to sex? This one is the biggest of all of the chicks. Edited to add, it’s about a month old.

4EAD7DB0-65DB-4368-BCA4-313CA59FEBDA.jpeg

Any guess on sexing this one? I am highly suspicious that it is a roo. It is a mix from one of my EE (I think). Do EEs and Ameracaunas have a smaller comb even earlier on that makes them harder to sex? This one is the biggest of all of the chicks. Edited to add, it’s about a month old.

View attachment 1294749

That forehead certainly looks roo'ish'... but so hard to tell on mixes at 4 weeks. If it is the friendliest and most interactive and fun of the group then you can bet it will turn out to be a rooster! :he:gig

So I did something today.... TSC finally got WYANDOTTES!!! :celebrate

Of course I hurried over and got 4 Wyandottes (gold laced I think), and my hubby wanted 2 black Australorps.

Pictured below is our cat with one of the Australorps. I'm bummed they lose that pretty white marking when they get older. Anyone have experience with that breed?

image_6483441 (4).JPG

That forehead certainly looks roo'ish'... but so hard to tell on mixes at 4 weeks. If it is the friendliest and most interactive and fun of the group then you can bet it will turn out to be a rooster! :he:gig

Lol! It is very calm, but it’s just so big! It did come from a large egg from an older hen though. We shall see!

Of course I hurried over and got 4 Wyandottes (gold laced I think), and my hubby wanted 2 black Australorps.

Pictured below is our cat with one of the Australorps. I'm bummed they lose that pretty white marking when they get older. Anyone have experience with that breed?

View attachment 1295561

Congrats! I had one Black Austrolorp, and she was wonderful. Always very “talkative”. Excellent layer of big brown eggs. Her name was Mary Poopins, and she was one of my first girls. She died in a predator attack while someone was caring for my flock, when we moved. I never had any issues with her.

Edited to add, she always had a very hard molt, but she was a tough cookie.

View attachment 1295561

We had an australorp rooster for years, Gabby was a great flock protector and very, very people friendly. I would not hesitate to have more australorps.

We had an australorp rooster for years, Gabby was a great flock protector and very, very people friendly. I would not hesitate to have more australorps.

They grow to be all black, correct? They're growing in some white and black feathers on their wing tips now.

Also what color are the eggs? TSC poster showed dark brown eggs but when I googled the breed, the eggs are more light brown?

They grow to be all black, correct? They're growing in some white and black feathers on their wing tips now.

Also what color are the eggs? TSC poster showed dark brown eggs but when I googled the breed, the eggs are more light brown?

They will be what I call 'beetle black'. ..meaning solid black feathers with green and purple iridescent sheen in the sunlight.
Eggs will be a light to medium brown unless the hatchery/breeder was doing some type of selective breeding and outcrossing to get darker ones for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom