Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Need some input - looking to get chickens. What is your experience with:
Wynadotte
Brahma
Marans
Can chime in about other breeds you love too.

Also, what hatchery have you had best experiences with? How much is the cost? I'm finding it to be a lot of money for chicks that may not survive the trip.
I'll wait a little while to see what TSC has before ordering.

I had a brahma marans cross that was the sweetest, most loveable big hen. She laid a super dark egg and laid often and loved to be held. All my pure Marans have been terrible layers. I've gotten 1 egg tso far this year from my Marans hen now. She's not even a year old yet and started laying in December (for like 2 weeks). The brahma hen I have now is rather skittish but I didn't raise her, I bought her as a POL pullet. She lays fairly well. I can't give any advice on the wyandottes yet. I think I'm getting some BLRW hatching eggs in another week or so though :) Most of my birds are from breeders, not hatcheries so I can't give any advice on a hatchery. Maybe see if you can find one within driving distance to go pick up what you're looking for.

I had a brahma marans cross that was the sweetest, most loveable big hen. She laid a super dark egg and laid often and loved to be held. All my pure Marans have been terrible layers. I've gotten 1 egg tso far this year from my Marans hen now. She's not even a year old yet and started laying in December (for like 2 weeks). The brahma hen I have now is rather skittish but I didn't raise her, I bought her as a POL pullet. She lays fairly well. I can't give any advice on the wyandottes yet. I think I'm getting some BLRW hatching eggs in another week or so though :) Most of my birds are from breeders, not hatcheries so I can't give any advice on a hatchery. Maybe see if you can find one within driving distance to go pick up what you're looking for.

Thanks for the input! I've heard brahmas are the sweetest birds around. Are they really big? Will they have a problem with my smaller hens, or fitting up on the perches?

Thanks for letting me know Marans don't lay well. What other breed lays nice dark brown eggs? Or maybe a speckled egg?

I've looked around but we don't have a lot near us. How do you find breeders?

Need some input - looking to get chickens. What is your experience with:
Wynadotte
Brahma
Marans
Can chime in about other breeds you love too.

Also, what hatchery have you had best experiences with? How much is the cost? I'm finding it to be a lot of money for chicks that may not survive the trip.
I'll wait a little while to see what TSC has before ordering.

my Wyandottes and brahmas have all been wonderful. I've had silver, gold and blue laced red wyans. The roo in my avatar was a splash laced red and he was always very courteous and wonderful. I've had buff and dark brahmas, adore the dark variety the most, I think they're beautiful. My wyandottes lay better but I am a fan of both breeds.
I've had both commercial cuckoo marans and black copper marans. It's rare to get a decent cuckoo marans egg color, most I've picked up over the years laid light. One pullet I had laid a dark russet, but don't go in expecting chocolates. I bought 2 black copper pullets after a show that laid beautiful eggs on the contrary.....when they felt like laying them. Not very motivated layers lol. I definitely recommend welsummers or @dheltzel 's welbars if you want more production but still have dark eggs.

As for hatchery, it depends on what you're looking to get out of your birds. If you're looking for show birds, better to go for a breeder. If you just want yard candy, I've ordered from a few but keep going back to ideal and cackle mostly. Will replace or refund any losses (as most hatcheries do). Ideal has many rare colors and varieties (although some aren't great representations) and cackle has always given me a good experience.

Last edited:
Oh, and hatchery Brahmas aren't usually any larger than your standard chicken. You would have to find a show breeder if you want truly large brahmas, although show birds are not as productive layers

my Wyandottes and brahmas have all been wonderful. I've had silver, gold and blue laced red wyans. The roo in my avatar was a splash laced red and he was always very courteous and wonderful. I've had buff and dark brahmas, adore the dark variety the most, I think they're beautiful. My wyandottes lay better but I am a fan of both breeds.
I've had both commercial cuckoo marans and black copper marans. It's rare to get a decent cuckoo maran egg color, most I've picked up over the years laid light. One pullet I had laid a dark russet, but don't go in expecting chocolates. I bought 2 black copper pullets after a show that laid beautiful eggs on the contrary.....when they felt like laying them. Not very motivated layers lol. I definitely recommend welsummers or @dheltzel 's welbars if you want more production but still have dark eggs.

As for hatchery, it depends on what you're looking to get out of your birds. If you're looking for show birds, better to go for a breeder. If you just want yard candy, I've ordered from a few but keep going back to ideal and cackle mostly. Will replace or refund any losses (as most hatcheries do). Ideal has many rare colors and varieties (although some aren't great representations) and cackle has always given me a good experience.

X2 on the wellbars from @dheltzel . I only have one (named Curly) but she is a great layer of dark brown eggs.

I am trying integration of my chicks tonight. I am going to keep a close eye on things, but my biggest fear of the young ones being pecked hasn’t happened once.

It is funny to watch the little ones try to snuggle under the big chicks. The garage is cool, but they have th heat lamp, and the heating pad tunnel to use. They also have each other to snuggles with.

I've had both commercial cuckoo marans and black copper marans. It's rare to get a decent cuckoo marans egg color, most I've picked up over the years laid light. One pullet I had laid a dark russet, but don't go in expecting chocolates. I bought 2 black copper pullets after a show that laid beautiful eggs on the contrary.....when they felt like laying them. Not very motivated layers lol. I definitely recommend welsummers or @dheltzel 's welbars if you want more production but still have dark eggs.

Sounds like I shouldn't get a marans then. Thanks for letting me know! I just want some yard candy and egg candy lol! I'm trying to contact a few nearby neighbors before considering ordering or traveling far for chicks. I prefer getting some older birds so I won't have to deal with the chicks getting sick and dying. BUT if TSC has chicks next week of any breeds I want, then I know I won't be able to resist. I have one of those large metal tubs for the chicks and all the equipment... :fl

Sounds like I shouldn't get a marans then. Thanks for letting me know! I just want some yard candy and egg candy lol! I'm trying to contact a few nearby neighbors before considering ordering or traveling far for chicks. I prefer getting some older birds so I won't have to deal with the chicks getting sick and dying. BUT if TSC has chicks next week of any breeds I want, then I know I won't be able to resist. I have one of those large metal tubs for the chicks and all the equipment... :fl
I do know Titusville and Meadville usually carry the same chick delivery, while Franklin and Clarion get the same delivery also they come Wednesday and Friday, there pretty us d to me “stopping in”I can let ya know if interested!

Well, the integration didn’t last long. Haha! The poor little chicks just wanted to sleep, but the bigger ones were so active and kept shoving them over. It was worth a try.

My broody got off the correct nest with the turkey eggs to go sit on plastic eggs, along with two real eggs. :barnie

She probably got knocked off by one of the other girls. So I popped the eggs in the incubator, including the two I just gathered. I will give the chicks back to her when they hatch. At that time, I hope to have my broody house done, so that I can move them all to where they will be separate, and she can raise them in peace.

I do know Titusville and Meadville usually carry the same chick delivery, while Franklin and Clarion get the same delivery also they come Wednesday and Friday, there pretty us d to me “stopping in”I can let ya know if interested!

Oh duh, I wasn't thinking about TSC in other cities *facepalm*
I'll have to call Corry and Edinboro (closer to me) and see what they have!
Thanks for the idea :hugs

Back
Top Bottom