Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Perhaps you feed your birds too well and they don't feel it is worth the effort to go after them. That is certainly a factor with how well cats are at catching rodents.
I love ducks for many reasons and the larger ones will be better suited for running in your yard and not flying off to a pond somewhere. If they can make a mud pit somewhere, they will, and that is the exasperating part of keeping ducks. They like to be messy or wet, often both.

We have a creek that runs through our backyard. Not very close to the house, but not too far either. I wondered about getting ducks and letting them out during the day to go play in the creek. But will they come back before dark? How do they do with predators? We do have foxes and coyotes here. The only thing that has gone for our chickens so far has been hawks though...?

We have a creek that runs through our backyard. Not very close to the house, but not too far either. I wondered about getting ducks and letting them out during the day to go play in the creek. But will they come back before dark? How do they do with predators? We do have foxes and coyotes here. The only thing that has gone for our chickens so far has been hawks though...?
People do keep ducks like you are suggesting, though I have not. I have read the trick is to teach them you have treats (shelled corn, scratch grains, mealworms, etc) and bring them back by calling them or shaking the treat can. If you get fully flighted ducks, like the bantam Australian Spotted, they will probably fly to the creek and fly back home at night. If they are pursued by a predator, they will fly away, and they can fly fast, like a pigeon. Mallards might also be a good breed to try, they are also more capable of evading predators, and might be easier to find locally.

@fisherlady ... looks like someone overheard you talking about your broody flock and couldn't let them have all the fun!

20200213_182627.jpg

Back
Top Bottom