Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
The silkie coop for a major overhaul today. Since we lost most of the silkie flock to raccoons a while ago, we had been collecting them every night and moving them to an empty brooder in the screen porch and moving them back out Every morning.... it was a pain in the butt! Well finally, this morning, I was ready to make some adjustments. The plan was to just tighten it up and add some hardware cloth but I had to take half of it apart just to be able to move it, it became a major rebuild. I'm hoping that now, they'll be safe. Along with raising it a foot up of the ground and giving the girls more ground space, we added two hardware cloth panels on the front that will get covered with plywood in the winter so it should be airy in the summer but nice and cozy in the winter. It's right up against the hardware cloth of the main coop with an opening so light will shine in to the coop from the run in the main coop. There's still a few more adjustments I'd like to do, mostly to the run but for now, in exhausted and done lol

Before:

IMG_20181214_153517.jpg
IMG_20181214_153716.jpg

Now:

20200810_172701.jpg
20200810_172723.jpg

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
@OneMountainAcres
Looks great, and I bet you are exhausted! The heat today was brutal where we were at. This was the kind of day where you work from 0600 to 1100, then 6p to 9p... none of that mid day bs!
I am totally beat lol. It was never meant to be such an undertaking but I'm very happy with the results. I started early, like 8-8:30 and didn't finish to about 5 lol. There were a few breaks in between four lunch and to fill some orders and run down to town but that was it. DD helped a lot and she got to learn how to use a drill today :)

TillyPeeps

Songster
Oct 13, 2015
Central PA
I let the two younger pullets out of their cage for an hour yesterday. My head hen Blue Bear just drank their water and was ok with them around her. But Dragon the Legbar chased and pecked them several times. I had to stop her. I'm suprised because Dragon is the second lowest on pecking order. What should I do next? Keep them in the cage longer? Or keep trying to merge them under my watch?

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
I let the two younger pullets out of their cage for an hour yesterday. My head hen Blue Bear just drank their water and was ok with them around her. But Dragon the Legbar chased and pecked them several times. I had to stop her. I'm suprised because Dragon is the second lowest on pecking order. What should I do next? Keep them in the cage longer? Or keep trying to merge them under my watch?
I'd let them out with supervision. They've got to blend in to the pecking order one way or another

LoribelleF

Chirping
Sep 1, 2019
Ligonier, Pa
My neighbor and I got 8wk oldpullets and then added 4 week old chicks. We have them together in the same area and supervised the first day or two in the yard. After that they were ok togther. Older ones seem to mother the babies and keep them warm at night. They are all members of the same flock now.

Top Bottom