Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I just got home from my way-too-long vacation!! I was so worried about coop security while I was gone, because that fox had been so persistent, but I'm happy to report no breaches!

We did lose one guinea hen to natural causes - her health had been going downhill for a while, and she passed away while we were away. Now there's only one last guinea with 7 chickens. I think she's okay, but I feel bad for her that all her guinea buddies are gone. No one is mean to her, but she mostly hangs out alone now, keeping a respectful distance from the others.

Finally, I had hoped that our new and old chickens would have fully integrated. Nope. They've been together over a month! I don't see the older girls picking on the younger ones at all, and yet the young ones are still skittish and don't want to go back inside if the older ones are already in there. It's very annoying trying to get them all in when it's time - it takes forever. I need these crazy teenagers to settle down.

Anyway, just happy to be home and take a deep breath. And so relieved no one was eaten!

Had some crazy wind coming through last week, crushed the gate to the goat paddock.
4C297088-F2D5-492D-9615-38E8C1C2270B.jpeg

Since the storm my bantams (3 -- one frizzle, 1 silkie, 1 D'Uccle) hate their geodesic dome temporary coop. I have to force them in there at night. They used to love going in there, so I assume that got flooded and now fear it. It is on a steep slope so it would not retain water, but perhaps there was rushing water and it was like a river.

Not sure what to do -- can I put them in the small coop with the 6 week old Spitzhaubens? During the day, the bantams go out in the big pen with everyone else.

Since the storm my bantams (3 -- one frizzle, 1 silkie, 1 D'Uccle) hate their geodesic dome temporary coop. I have to force them in there at night. They used to love going in there, so I assume that got flooded and now fear it. It is on a steep slope so it would not retain water, but perhaps there was rushing water and it was like a river.

Not sure what to do -- can I put them in the small coop with the 6 week old Spitzhaubens? During the day, the bantams go out in the big pen with everyone else.
Why not elevate the dome on railroad ties or cement blocks? Bringing it up a foot or 2 will give them a better sense of security and bonus space underneath to dust.

Why not elevate the dome on railroad ties or cement blocks? Bringing it up a foot or 2 will give them a better sense of security and bonus space underneath to dust.
Sadly, the dome doesn't have a floor so elevating won't help them. It is actually about 5 feet high in the middle... It is basically an outdoor tractor protected by electric.

Edited to update: they went into their dome tonight on their own. So perhaps they are over their fear. I now have another month or 2 before I have to find a permanent solution for them -- the dome would work in snow.

Last edited:
OK, trying again, website glitches and lost last reply.
@Blarneyeggs

Glad you got the gate repaired, though it looks like the goats would rather you hadn't. They prefer to roam no matter how nice their pasture is!

Not much going on here other than doctor and therapist appointments. Some bumps in the recovery road but still moving forward. The dogs are keeping me moving, the new pup (now 7 months old) is a real live wire and keeps things interesting. Kendra got to go on her first boat outings last week. She had fun barking at rods and fish caught and learned where that yummy sushi stuff comes from (previously enjoyed fish bits at camp when we were vacuum sealing filets, first time she saw the fish whole). With her 2 role models on board she didn't seem phased at all by the boat noises or vibrations and was happy to go on more outings.
20210820_150312.jpg
20210820_150446_02.jpg
20210817_082031.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom