Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Couple of still shots of the snake, he didn't care to pose. You have to click on the first picture to see the full view, preview cuts it off since it is a portrait layout instead of landscape dimension.

Attachments

• 20221005_164414.jpg
    20221005_164414.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221005_164400.jpg
    20221005_164400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Found this snake basking in the middle of the road yesterday. Initially passed it and wondered if it was alive so turned around to check. Found it very alive, and very grumpy about me wanting to help, lol. I believe it is a brown rat snake, about 4.5 to 5 ft long and as big around as my forearm.
I didn't want to let it get squashed by traffic, a lot of folks seem to go out of their way to kill snakes but they are needed in the ecosystem and are helpful for most farms as long as you can keep them out of nest box areas.

Wow, he was grouchy! Usually we see a couple big ones like that wander through our yard but I didn't see any this year. Just one little one, maybe a foot long.

Couple of still shots of the snake, he didn't care to pose. You have to click on the first picture to see the full view, preview cuts it off since it is a portrait layout instead of landscape dimension.
What a beautiful creature! Thank you for saving him or her. He was trying to get some of that sunshine we had today.

This is the off-season for chicks of any breed, but real English Orps are rarely available any time of the year. I used to have them years ago, but replaced them with Lavender Ameraucanas and Lavender Marans, because, you know - colored eggs.
I had 4 beautiful English orps I bought on the internet—they came with 11 others that arrived dead/dying. Does Martha still have English Orps?

I moved and sorted some young chickens today. I LOVE cochin bantams, they are so easy to work with and they just look really nice. Some of the pullets came right up to the front to greet me, even in their new cage. Other breeds get all freaked out in new pens for a few days. I think I like the mottled blacks the best, though next year I will also be hatching lavender and blue, all 3 with frizzles in the mix.
I have a hard time picking my favorite breed, but often think that when I have to slow down and reduce my number of breeds, the cochins will be the last to go. They are easy keepers and naturally friendly. I can see why they are very popular as show birds, they just like to strike a pose and let me admire them.
Maybe someday I will do sexlinked cochins.

I have 15 11 week old (7/25 hatch) Blue Plymouth Rock pullets from Freedom Ranger Hatchery available. $12 each for now, price will go up as they age due to feed prices. Good layers (300 eggs/yr) and dual purpose birds.
I'm in zip code 15724, Indiana County.

Attachments

• 20221009_183255.jpg
    20221009_183255.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 3
I moved and sorted some young chickens today. I LOVE cochin bantams, they are so easy to work with and they just look really nice. Some of the pullets came right up to the front to greet me, even in their new cage. Other breeds get all freaked out in new pens for a few days. I think I like the mottled blacks the best, though next year I will also be hatching lavender and blue, all 3 with frizzles in the mix.
I have a hard time picking my favorite breed, but often think that when I have to slow down and reduce my number of breeds, the cochins will be the last to go. They are easy keepers and naturally friendly. I can see why they are very popular as show birds, they just like to strike a pose and let me admire them.

We have 2 bantam cochins, a buff and a lavender. They're adorable little things. It actually amazes me how tiny they are when standard cochins are so much bigger lol

I'm definitely interested in sexlinked cochins. The mottled black is also my favorite color. If you have some cochin pullets available when you come to center PA next year, I may want some. Since they are very friendly, so I don't need to get baby chicks.

I merged my chicks to the flock during last weekend. It's strange that none of the big girls pecked the chicks even once! The chicks were in their cage inside the coop for a week, but I was expecting at least little pecks for pecking order. But no, big girls checked them and squawked a lot, but no peck. Instead, Pepsi, the puppy-like black Ameraucana chick, actually pecked my large Orpington's butt when she was eating! :eek:Pepsi then chirped and ran away. She acted like a little girl laughing about what she just did. :lol:

My chicks are 7 weeks old now and still sleep under their heating pad. When should I remove the heating pad? Next week? I need to get them used to cold weather since winter is at the corner.

Back
Top Bottom