Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

This year is really crazy! I stopped at TSC last night, and they only had one Red Cornish Cross chick left! All other chicks were sold out! I never heard about Red Cornish Cross though. she looked very small comparing to white cornish cross chicks. And, no, I wasn't looking for new chicks. I just always check their chick bins when I was there. They never sold out chicks at this time of year.

This year is really crazy! I stopped at TSC last night, and they only had one Red Cornish Cross chick left! All other chicks were sold out! I never heard about Red Cornish Cross though. she looked very small comparing to white cornish cross chicks.
Probably one of the "Freedom Ranger" type broilers. They are hybrids that grow fast, but not as fast as the Cornish x Rocks. They don't have the leg and immobility issues and some people keep them for long term, but I bet they eat a lot. One friend had one that was a decent flock protector roo, she named him "Thunder Chicken" and said he weighed like 14 lbs.

This year is really crazy! I stopped at TSC last night, and they only had one Red Cornish Cross chick left! All other chicks were sold out! I never heard about Red Cornish Cross though. she looked very small comparing to white cornish cross chicks. And, no, I wasn't looking for new chicks. I just always check their chick bins when I was there. They never sold out chicks at this time of year.

I was at TSC in Altoona on Sunday... they were totally sold out too. I've heard that a lot of the hatcheries are sold out for the season this year too

I was at TSC in Altoona on Sunday... they were totally sold out too. I've heard that a lot of the hatcheries are sold out for the season this year too
I *only* have 58 people on my wait list. But some want 20 or 30 chicks. Making me extra nervous that I have the incubators tuned well for incubation and hatching. Over 400 chicken eggs (and 200+ quail) go into the hatchers tomorrow evening.

Of the 2 sexlinked Ameraucanas that hatched last time, neither are silkied, but it looks like both are female. That pen is starting to lay more eggs, hoping with large numbers the silkied chicks start appearing.

Hey @dheltzel , I actually had my phone on me this evening when I was closing the coops for the night and caught a couple pictures of the genetic hackles. I need to get a few of them NOT on a roost lol

20230302_202024.jpg
20230302_201943.jpg

So jealous. I would love some of those beautiful roos but can't have them in my neighborhood.
Yeah, they still crow. They are more mellow than most of my roosters. Few other breeds would find 2 mature cocks roosting next to each other like that. I wish I could breed the crow out of a rooster that pretty (or any rooster), but it is such a part of their natural behavior.

Yeah, they still crow. They are more mellow than most of my roosters. Few other breeds would find 2 mature cocks roosting next to each other like that. I wish I could breed the crow out of a rooster that pretty (or any rooster), but it is such a part of their natural behavior.
If you could breed out the crow, you really could quit your day job!

Back
Top Bottom