Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome from Cambria County! I thought about it once but never went through with it. Now would be a good time though to contact the state vet and get any information that you would need to get it done next year. Depending on where you are, I think it can be a challenge to find a certified poultry technician to do the blood work.
Oh I didn't even think about finding a certified poultry technician. Maybe that's something PSU has. I live 20 miles from the dubois campus Ave shit 1.5 hours from the state college campus.

Trying to get my herding pumi puppy to get over her fear of hens. She was great with them until she got a shock on the fence, and since than she has been terrified of chickens. Any advice?

Attachments

• Mirza-Duckworth.jpg
    Mirza-Duckworth.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 2
I start to think my flock might have bird flu. Hershey went from a little sick to dying in 24h. She has difficulty to breath and her face turned purple. There are sneezing, diarrhea, unusual egg laying drop, in my flock in last several days. Several of my best layers strangely stopped laying for several days to a week. Since Pennsylvania has bird flu now, I feel my birds may get some LPAI. Most my chickens are recovering now and egg laying is back to normal, should I bother to get them tested? I don’t want the government come to kill all my chickens. From my understanding, LPAI are usually very mild in chickens. Hershey is always the weakest one in the group, so she unfortunately may not survive. :hit

I start to think my flock might have bird flu. Hershey went from a little sick to dying in 24h. She has difficulty to breath and her face turned purple. There are sneezing, diarrhea, unusual egg laying drop, in my flock in last several days. Several of my best layers strangely stopped laying for several days to a week. Since Pennsylvania has bird flu now, I feel my birds may get some LPAI. Most my chickens are recovering now and egg laying is back to normal, should I bother to get them tested? I don’t want the government come to kill all my chickens. From my understanding, LPAI are usually very mild in chickens. Hershey is always the weakest one in the group, so she unfortunately may not survive. :hit
As I understand it, the "low path" form is of no particular concern. I wonder if birds that get the low-path version acquire any immunity to the worse forms? Unfortunately, our government agencies seem more concerned with implementing a "scorched earth" policy than researching resistance or cures.
I am reluctant to post this because I have no way to verify the integrity of these claims, but the recommended treatment here is probably not harmful at all and sometimes the sense of doing something can help us get through a crisis: https://www.thewaterfowlsanctuary.co.uk/articles/ai.htm

732 chicken eggs set tonight, and 11 muscovies. Muscovies take exactly 2 weeks longer to hatch than chickens, so I can set them with the chicken eggs and just hold them back 2 weeks more before they go into the hatcher.
Along with the last setting, that are going into the hatchers this Thursday, they almost exactly fill up 5 cabinet incubators.

As I understand it, the "low path" form is of no particular concern. I wonder if birds that get the low-path version acquire any immunity to the worse forms? Unfortunately, our government agencies seem more concerned with implementing a "scorched earth" policy than researching resistance or cures.
I am reluctant to post this because I have no way to verify the integrity of these claims, but the recommended treatment here is probably not harmful at all and sometimes the sense of doing something can help us get through a crisis: https://www.thewaterfowlsanctuary.co.uk/articles/ai.htm
Thanks very much, Dennis. I know these herbs may not really work, but I'm willing to try it when there's no other choice. I know there are antivirus medicines for bird flu, but I'm not able to get any. Someone recommended St. John's Wort to treat Marek, and I'm using it now. I'm not sure if it works or not, but it at least didn't hurt. I wondered about if LPAI will work like vaccinations to HPAI too, but I don't know. I cannot find the government policy about LPAI, so I don't want to take a risk to test it. Hershey still has difficulty to breath and extremely weak. I think she developed pneumonia and really doesn't have a big chance to survive. :(

Not local, but I could send your some in the mail. I have 2 lines from 2 different major quail farms. Descriptions here: http://welbars.com/index.php/quail/
I am in the process of starting over with the quail shed, not quite there yet as far as how I want it.
These are for a youngster that wants to try quail and of course I am gonna help out with that quail math.:D

732 chicken eggs set tonight, and 11 muscovies. Muscovies take exactly 2 weeks longer to hatch than chickens, so I can set them with the chicken eggs and just hold them back 2 weeks more before they go into the hatcher.
Along with the last setting, that are going into the hatchers this Thursday, they almost exactly fill up 5 cabinet incubators.
Do you have space for... -checks baskets- 17 goose eggs? I need to clean off a couple a bit and mark them for who's from which group, but they're sitting here at room temp ready to go. (No idea how well they'd do though since it's been pretty cold outside).

Back
Top Bottom