Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My scaled quail are growing up :) They're looking so cute! They're loving this cage I got for them. They're always running up the ramps to the top level lol

20230903_161104.jpg
20230903_161114.jpg
20230830_185640.jpg

Update on our growing out kids & boy have they grown!!
The boys have found their "voices", but we cannot complain.
It is VERY mild & only one makes noise when we he sees us, just to say "hello"..at least it seems that way:idunno...
It's "trouble"..of course it would be him, he sounds funny, like he is hollering into a solo-cup, you know all muffled.:p
The two BLRW boys have a favorite girl already..poor thing, "oreo", the Maran.
I may have to get a few of those hen- saddles for some of these girls.
these boys are just trying things out and NOT doing so well.
I feel really bad for the girls. :oops:
Everyone is doing great though, still very friendly.
We work with them all the time. Make the "chicken-checks" much easier!!
Hope you all are doing well, getting ready for "Pumpkin spice season!!!":wee:love:bun:jumpy:thumbsup:highfive::clap:lau

I'm another member from Pottstown area.

Post in thread 'Looking to have chickens back on property.' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ickens-back-on-property.1308517/post-27080781

It's been a long two months since we've had chickens. The six chicks are now 9 weeks old all are doing well.

We lost one of the four adult hens a couple days after adopting them. A second one developed what I believe was coccidiosis. She has had a rough five weeks.

Halfway through the amprolium treatment she developed sour crop. I purged her crop and hand fed her yogurt fortified with probiotic powder. She was recovering well and just begining to eat on her own and peck in the yard. Then she took a turn for the worse.

On the last morning of treatment I found her laying sprawled out on the poop tray siezing and stargazing. Drops of Liquid B vitamin given orally helped with that very quickly.

After the seizing incident she could not eat, drink or walk, on her own. Over-all since she first became ill I hand fed and watered her several times a day for five weeks. It was touch and go for a while. To be honest I almost culled her when I found her siezing.

It's been a week since I found her siezing. Now she eats and drinks on her own. She is walking slowly around the yard, balance is still a little off but improving. She pecks in the grass for seeds and bugs. She is now holding her tail up once again.

She wasn't handling Mondays heat very well so I moved her to a dog cage in the living room. She was outside several times since and seems to be gradually handling the heat better.

I finally think she is going to make it. I wasn't going to name any of the birds but while caring for her I kept saying "come on honey eat a little bit" or 'come on honey stand up". Honey stuck so now she is Honey our only named chicken.

Attachments

• 20230906_190223.jpg
    20230906_190223.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 5
We are just outside of Philly in MontCo. So chicken math happened again this year... wasn't gonna get anymore since we already have 6 healthy adult hens just over a year old (3 white leghorns, 2 golden comets, 1 RIR; getting 5-6 eggs per day so more than our family of 4 can eat per week) but now we are up to 15(!) chickens with the addition of 9 chicks of various breeds that are now 7 weeks old (1 ameraucana, 1 black sex-linked, 1 silver lace wyandotte, and 6 prairie bluebells (PBB)). There's a story around that... cause there's ALWAYS a story when it comes to chicken math!

In July, my aunt and I visited my great-aunt who is now 96. On the way home, we stopped at the TSC to get layer pellets and mealworms. Saw the chicks and ducks, joked with the staff about not needing more, got our feed and went to checkout. One of the associates comes and asks if we are interested in a "broken chicken?" Ok, color me curious, how exactly does one have a broken chicken? Turns out one of the BSL was a splay leg and couldn't balance well enough to eat and groom. Since she's deformed, they can't sell her either. So was offered a free chick plus her companion, another BSL, if we'd be willing to take her home and give her a chance. You know what, why not, let's give it a go!

Take the poor thing home, clean her up, and release the poo plug that's built up (and there was a LOT of poo in a little body!), and set her and her buddy up in a brooder. Unfortunately, she doesn't last 24 hrs, I think there was just too much damage done that couldn't be reversed. So now we have a solo 1-week old BSL. Well, that's unacceptable! She needs company! So off to our local TSC we go, hoping to find a couple of friends! Lookie here! They have silver lace wyandotte and prairie bluebell pullets! Since I've always wanted blue egg layers, we'll take 2 of each. Right, done, let's get more chick feed (since there are now 5 chicks, not 1), but... the associate helping me mentions the 4 straight-run PBBs that are getting too big for the holding tank behind them. If we're willing to take them, they'll sell them to us for $0.50 each. Ok, not bad, $2 for 4 more chicks, why not!? So now we are up to 8 new birds, but wait there's more! Had mentioned I've been wanting an ameraucana, so while getting feed and a bigger water container, am told there are ameraucana pullets in the back if we're interested... Well damn, I guess we are... so we swap out a wyandotte for the americuna and go to check out (for REAL this time, I swear!)

Get to the checkout counter and the cashier is ringing all of this up. Mentioned we were the $0.50 PBBs that the associate called up to let the front know about the discount. With a smile and wink, they are bumped down to $0.25 each. Now 4 chicks for $1!! Awesome right? Pay for our other supplies, chicks, and feed. Off we go to make our BSL a little less lonely.

Well, lo and behold, when checking the receipt 2 days later, the 4 other chicks (ameraucana, wyandotte, 2 PBB pullets) weren't on there and I guess we didn't get charged for them!? So it was now 8 chicks for $1 plus the free BSL for helping the broken chicken. And that is how chicken math works to get 9 chicks for $1!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8573.jpeg
    IMG_8573.jpeg
    720.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'm another member from Pottstown area.

Post in thread 'Looking to have chickens back on property.' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ickens-back-on-property.1308517/post-27080781

It's been a long two months since we've had chickens. The six chicks are now 9 weeks old all are doing well.

We lost one of the four adult hens a couple days after adopting them. A second one developed what I believe was coccidiosis. She has had a rough five weeks.

Halfway through the amprolium treatment she developed sour crop. I purged her crop and hand fed her yogurt fortified with probiotic powder. She was recovering well and just begining to eat on her own and peck in the yard. Then she took a turn for the worse.

On the last morning of treatment I found her laying sprawled out on the poop tray siezing and stargazing. Drops of Liquid B vitamin given orally helped with that very quickly.

After the seizing incident she could not eat, drink or walk, on her own. Over-all since she first became ill I hand fed and watered her several times a day for five weeks. It was touch and go for a while. To be honest I almost culled her when I found her siezing.

It's been a week since I found her siezing. Now she eats and drinks on her own. She is walking slowly around the yard, balance is still a little off but improving. She pecks in the grass for seeds and bugs. She is now holding her tail up once again.

She wasn't handling Mondays heat very well so I moved her to a dog cage in the living room. She was outside several times since and seems to be gradually handling the heat better.

I finally think she is going to make it. I wasn't going to name any of the birds but while caring for her I kept saying "come on honey eat a little bit" or 'come on honey stand up". Honey stuck so now she is Honey our only named chicken.
We are just outside of Philly in MontCo. So chicken math happened again this year... wasn't gonna get anymore since we already have 6 healthy adult hens just over a year old (3 white leghorns, 2 golden comets, 1 RIR; getting 5-6 eggs per day so more than our family of 4 can eat per week) but now we are up to 15(!) chickens with the addition of 9 chicks of various breeds that are now 7 weeks old (1 ameraucana, 1 black sex-linked, 1 silver lace wyandotte, and 6 prairie bluebells (PBB)). There's a story around that... cause there's ALWAYS a story when it comes to chicken math!

In July, my aunt and I visited my great-aunt who is now 96. On the way home, we stopped at the TSC to get layer pellets and mealworms. Saw the chicks and ducks, joked with the staff about not needing more, got our feed and went to checkout. One of the associates comes and asks if we are interested in a "broken chicken?" Ok, color me curious, how exactly does one have a broken chicken? Turns out one of the BSL was a splay leg and couldn't balance well enough to eat and groom. Since she's deformed, they can't sell her either. So was offered a free chick plus her companion, another BSL, if we'd be willing to take her home and give her a chance. You know what, why not, let's give it a go!

Take the poor thing home, clean her up, and release the poo plug that's built up (and there was a LOT of poo in a little body!), and set her and her buddy up in a brooder. Unfortunately, she doesn't last 24 hrs, I think there was just too much damage done that couldn't be reversed. So now we have a solo 1-week old BSL. Well, that's unacceptable! She needs company! So off to our local TSC we go, hoping to find a couple of friends! Lookie here! They have silver lace wyandotte and prairie bluebell pullets! Since I've always wanted blue egg layers, we'll take 2 of each. Right, done, let's get more chick feed (since there are now 5 chicks, not 1), but... the associate helping me mentions the 4 straight-run PBBs that are getting too big for the holding tank behind them. If we're willing to take them, they'll sell them to us for $0.50 each. Ok, not bad, $2 for 4 more chicks, why not!? So now we are up to 8 new birds, but wait there's more! Had mentioned I've been wanting an ameraucana, so while getting feed and a bigger water container, am told there are ameraucana pullets in the back if we're interested... Well damn, I guess we are... so we swap out a wyandotte for the americuna and go to check out (for REAL this time, I swear!)

Get to the checkout counter and the cashier is ringing all of this up. Mentioned we were the $0.50 PBBs that the associate called up to let the front know about the discount. With a smile and wink, they are bumped down to $0.25 each. Now 4 chicks for $1!! Awesome right? Pay for our other supplies, chicks, and feed. Off we go to make our BSL a little less lonely.

Well, lo and behold, when checking the receipt 2 days later, the 4 other chicks (ameraucana, wyandotte, 2 PBB pullets) weren't on there and I guess we didn't get charged for them!? So it was now 8 chicks for $1 plus the free BSL for helping the broken chicken. And that is how chicken math works to get 9 chicks for $1!!!
I love all of these real stories!! This is awesome guys!! Keep doing your best, keep doing you!! :love :hugs

Back
Top Bottom