Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone going to the Pottstown Pet Fair tomorrow, Sept 9th?
My wife and myself will be there volunteering with the local pet food pantry.

Way too far away from me but have a good time!!

For anyone near Huntingdon or Raystown, there will be a livestock swap on Saturday, September 16th from 9am-1pm at the Tractor Supply in Huntingdon. I'm trying to decide if I'm going or not. There will be a lot of foot traffic as there's going to be a couple different events going on at once. I only have 1 extra roo left but I could take saddles.

I'm another member from Pottstown area.

Post in thread 'Looking to have chickens back on property.' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ickens-back-on-property.1308517/post-27080781

It's been a long two months since we've had chickens. The six chicks are now 9 weeks old all are doing well.

We lost one of the four adult hens a couple days after adopting them. A second one developed what I believe was coccidiosis. She has had a rough five weeks.

Halfway through the amprolium treatment she developed sour crop. I purged her crop and hand fed her yogurt fortified with probiotic powder. She was recovering well and just begining to eat on her own and peck in the yard. Then she took a turn for the worse.

On the last morning of treatment I found her laying sprawled out on the poop tray siezing and stargazing. Drops of Liquid B vitamin given orally helped with that very quickly.

After the seizing incident she could not eat, drink or walk, on her own. Over-all since she first became ill I hand fed and watered her several times a day for five weeks. It was touch and go for a while. To be honest I almost culled her when I found her siezing.

It's been a week since I found her siezing. Now she eats and drinks on her own. She is walking slowly around the yard, balance is still a little off but improving. She pecks in the grass for seeds and bugs. She is now holding her tail up once again.

She wasn't handling Mondays heat very well so I moved her to a dog cage in the living room. She was outside several times since and seems to be gradually handling the heat better.

I finally think she is going to make it. I wasn't going to name any of the birds but while caring for her I kept saying "come on honey eat a little bit" or 'come on honey stand up". Honey stuck so now she is Honey our only named chicken.

AN UPDATE ON HONEY
Honey seems to be fully recovered, still no eggs as of yet but she spends her days out in the yard scratching for bugs under the honeysuckle or in the woodchips in the garden.

Yesterday marked one week of her spending nights caged in our livingroom.
Last night I did not go out for her until just after dark. I found her on the porch at the back door.

Tonight I was putting the girls in a little early due to escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante being in the area.

A little while before sundown tonight Honeys previous owner stopped by to see how "her" girls were doing. I told her about Honeys brush with death and that she now sleeps in the house.

As we were talking we watched Honey waddle up the porch steps and huddle up by the back door waiting to go in. She picked up on the new routine quickly.

ETA:
CAVALCANTE CAPTURED!
Now my life can return to what passes as normal!

Last edited:
FINALLY!

After many weeks of care and re-coop-eration Honeys droppings finally lost their yellow color and have returned to normal size.

20230914_085310.jpg

I found this on the tray floor this morning. The material in lower center is worm bedding. The big dump with with the cecal poop is what I'm excited about.

The diarrhea has been mostly gone for about a week but droppings still had a yellowish color and were about the size of a lima bean. This mornings batch was big.

She came with a pair of leghorns. They beat up on her so I've been letting her roam the yard with our half dozen pullets. They are slowly adjusting to her.

This morning for the first time since we got her I saw her running at full speed trying to keep up with the pullets. We've had her about ten weeks.

Have a great day.

I am selling 3 of my cabinet incubators to make room for a set of new, higher capacity incubators. Each incubator can handle 288 chicken-sized eggs. They have all been very reliable for me and have hatched a lot of chicks, ducklings, keets and poults.

If you know anyone looking for an incubator and within driving distance of Pottstown, let me know

Call ducks available in Columbia county. My flock of call ducks was very productive this year. All the 2023 young are now grown and time to downsize the numbers. Some 1-2 year olds available too. Various colors in both genders available for new homes.

Call ducks available in Columbia county. My flock of call ducks was very productive this year. All the 2023 young are now grown and time to downsize the numbers. Some 1-2 year olds available too. Various colors in both genders available for new homes.
Sent you a PM, I'm looking for a snowy call for a breeding project.

I am in south eastern Pa. does anybody have semi-docile laying hen below 2 years of age for sale. With in 2 hour drive from media Pa. If not that is 100% fine just curios.

Back
Top Bottom