Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    How's this? Eyeliner? I'm supposed to be getting Wellie eggs, would like to be able to sex them.

Soooo sweet!

2. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    partridge silkie hen with calico chick and blue chick in background

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    And so far today I have 3 white bantam Langshan chicks out! The rest should hatch in a day or two!

4. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

I did see photos of someone's eggs that were Marans over green,,, their's did not have uniform " painting",,, somewhat of a swirl or splashy pattern over the green,,, not all that appealing,,, at least not to me...... I have seen others that have made really nice dark olive eggers with the combo..... really nice colored eggs !

5. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Blue egg genes are dominate, wether it comes from the hen or the rooster. You will get a more olive tone using a hen or roo that came from a bluer egg.

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    How's this? Eyeliner? I'm supposed to be getting Wellie eggs, would like to be able to sex them.

Although Whitmore Farm only sells straight run chicks, Welsummers can be sexed at birth. The female has what I like to call "eye liner" the dark line extending beyond her eye towards her ear is dark and very well defined. On the male, that same line is light and blurry. Similarly, if you look at the triangle on the top of their head, on the female it is dark and clearly defined, the male's triangle is lighter and the edges are not clearly defined. In both of the chick photos below, the female is on the left, and the male is on the right.

7. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Good to know that they'll still be olive eggs....assuming that I'm right and my EE is who has been keeping company with the Marans.

8. Cheralee

Cheralee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Slippery Rock, PA
    I have a question and welcome all opinions. A friend wants one of the Orp roosters I brought home and is willing to swap some fertile Holland eggs for him. I Googled Hollands and realize there really aren't that many AT ALL. Given that they are so rare, I would really hate to try to incubate them and screw it up. If I found someone who does this a lot and would be willing to "foster" them into chicks for me, what are the conditions they need to be transported in? I would really love to help further this breed as our family always intended to focus on heritage anyway. Thoughts?

9. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Conditions to transport the eggs? I'd go with somewhere local. Then just put them in a carton and drive on over. For transporting home after birth? A box. Make sure it has some air holes. LOL Believe me, they drive well...RoPo drove her eggs while they were incubating CROSS COUNTRY! I've driven my chicks home from MD.

10. Cheralee

Cheralee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Slippery Rock, PA
    :) I was wondering about the eggs from her house to the incubator. I wasn't sure about keeping them especially warm or anything. Is there anyone in Western PA with room in their incubators? LOL. Or suggestions for a small-ish brand incubator? The Brinsea BYC is giving away looks pretty good for my needs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by