Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi I'm unsure if I'm to post here but hi ^^ I'm a south eastern pa native right on the mason Dixon line. Always looking to coordinate and talk with other chicken enthusiasts ^^ message me! I'm not sure bout navigating this site yet but I'm learning!!
soooo, HI!
tongue.png
Welcome aboard!! We happen yo be those kind of people
lau.gif
Sometimes chicken crazy even

Bummer night,,,,, candled the shipped BCM eggs in incubator....only 3 of 12 are developing, the rest are clear,,,,eggtopsy confirms.
th.gif

Seller willing to replace them next week, looks like I'll start over again, and they were nice dark eggs, Bev Davis lines. The waiting game continues, hoping the 3 that show development make it all the way.

Also 3 of my own LF blue cochin in there, they seem fine, will be my first blue's from my own hen.
fl.gif
Sorry Ray! I feel your pain. Out of my 18 I just candled them and lost 7 I have 2 that are kind of "Iffy" (They are too dark for me to see anything. They don't smell, so I'm holding out for them. LOL! One I almost took to the ziplock bag for eggtopsy, but something told me to give it a second look..so I did and sure enough, just the slightest movement. So I put it back with the movers. all but 1 were infertile...strangely enough the underdeveloped baby was "stuck" to the shell...what does that mean?? I'll keep my positive thoughts for your other babies!!
That sucks! How in the world do you candle them??? please come do all mine!! Lockdown is on Monday!!! I tried five lights, candler AND SPOTLIGHT and cant see crud, not even air cells!!! what the heck!!!! I am worried because the bator had a slight.... SLIGHT cooked egg smell when I just turned. So they were infertile? I had alot of serama from Crazypetlady unfertile, she had roo issues she said, but didnt offer Harmony any more : ( oh well lessons learned right? My black and blue didnt lay a single egg yet! but I dont really have the set up for them to lay yet, was gonna do it the first weekend I ended up in the hospital..... I told DH to take the kids tall one wide book shelf down and add some boards on the fronts and throw it in for me and set up a timer on the light, cause its dark as sin in there until they are left out.

I was having a sit with all these chicks, now moved into the garage, some of the brahma look frizzle!!! I love frizzles but I dont want my brahma frizzled, I have no room for them to breed! and I have a plenty layers!!! How cool is a LF frizzle though? I had to look them up, frizzles are cool but I never actually seen a LF one! Seems my friend has a Frizzle ROO! thanks for telling me now!

QUESTION: Do roosters have favorite hens? My SLW Roo "Melvin" only does the brahma breeds!
Funny enough Sally, I DID read something that said sometimes a Roo DOES favor a particular hen and apparently the only way to solve it is get rid of him or move to to another coop (some way to quarantine him from her. Also was saying you may want a saddle for her so he doesn't rip out all her feathers. Pretty interesting that you mentioned that.

Still haven't heard from my coop company as to when this thing is arriving...I have to say I feel like it's forever ago, and I am wondering where the heck it went. Guess a phone call will be coming tomorrow.

Sandy is doing awesome, and Jennise is getting so big! She has made her way out of the plastic tote...smart alec. She keeps making her water dirty and it's driving me batty! She likes apples. LOL! The growth process with chickens is amazing. Oh well. That's it for now. Until tomorrow! :)

Here is little miss fresh! Enjoying the view!

Here is Rowan (age 5) being responsible for taking Sandy out for her scratching time. LOL!! He even saved her from the wild raspberry bushes. LOL!!

Last edited:
Quote: Thanks Penta! Rowan is freakin adorable!!!! My heart loves a kid with a chicken! (yea you too chad) LOL

two things.... I candled the duck eggs.... I AM CHANGING MY TUNE ON CLEANING EGGS!!!
NOTE dirty duck egg and NOTE DEAD EMbryo in it!!! There is an interesting read in my hatching notes about relevance of turning and sticking embryo... feel free to read it and share because I just simply DO NOT feel like it : ( So either this egg was too dirty or just didnt get turned right :( But it looks like 5 are alive, so cool because you can see in the eggs well!

see that black spot around 1 oclock, it wiggles and moves a tad inside but stuck to shell... that was embryo

Thanks Penta! Rowan is freakin adorable!!!! My heart loves a kid with a chicken! (yea you too chad) LOL

two things.... I candled the duck eggs.... I AM CHANGING MY TUNE ON CLEANING EGGS!!!
NOTE dirty duck egg and NOTE DEAD EMbryo in it!!! There is an interesting read in my hatching notes about relevance of turning and sticking embryo... feel free to read it and share because I just simply DO NOT feel like it : ( So either this egg was too dirty or just didnt get turned right :( But it looks like 5 are alive, so cool because you can see in the eggs well!

see that black spot around 1 oclock, it wiggles and moves a tad inside but stuck to shell... that was embryo
LOL! Thank You!! Rowan is such a mature 5 year old, it's crazy! LOL!

Now that's funny. Mine looked exactly the same (and equally as dirty) I stared at it, HOPING the spot would move and to no avail, it was stuck. What's odd though is that I have it in the automatic turner. So it's not like it's not being turned. I really wonder if a dirty egg has something to do with it. Ugh. I really want 2 ducks....and Turkeys...and peacocks.....I'm so **** needy!! LOL!!!

LOL! Thank You!! Rowan is such a mature 5 year old, it's crazy! LOL!

Now that's funny. Mine looked exactly the same (and equally as dirty) I stared at it, HOPING the spot would move and to no avail, it was stuck. What's odd though is that I have it in the automatic turner. So it's not like it's not being turned. I really wonder if a dirty egg has something to do with it. Ugh. I really want 2 ducks....and Turkeys...and peacocks.....I'm so **** needy!! LOL!!!
P.S. I just followed you on Pinterest. LOL! I'm "The Vegetarian Farmer"

Back
Top Bottom