Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I have everyone entered so far.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Originally Posted by ronott1 [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NYD Hatch-a-long Daily Digest, 12/18/2012
    Stats: # 3 busiest thread
    Sally Sunshine #9 ovation
    Lots of us in the top 10 most posts

Today is day 7, so there are 14 days to go. Lots of eggs are being inspected for development and signs of problems. The Sniff Test is one of those tests [​IMG]

Coffee clears the sinuses, How do you smell thousands lots of eggs without them getting too cold? What are we smelling for? Lots of good stuff was posted about this. [​IMG] Then there is the tap test! A ting is good but a dull sound is bad. Some can tell by weight. If they are lighter, they are developing. tazcat70 warned us to not remove eggs unless they are obviously clears or bad--it is sad to crack open an egg and find a living(then dead) chick in there [​IMG]

Sally Sunshine shard a video of a Duck embryo dancing in the shell! (3828) [​IMG]

TMNfarm went for a horse ride to get a Christmas Tree! Pictures taken had light streaks in them. Possibly the presence of relatives that have passed on? [​IMG]

SleepyOwl is concerned about the hatch. Take a breath, it will be ok, you will have a good hatch. [​IMG]and it will be amazing. Also, you will be back for the Easter hatch-a long!

How to Cull a deformed chick--not a common occurrence--Don't worry about that! [​IMG] Brookhavens posted(3880) some great information for concerns at this time of hatching, including culling chicks. [​IMG]

Aspen is back! What a great multi-quote! [​IMG]

Post 3881 has the daily update for Day 7 Development. CelticOaksFarm answered the Duck Incubation questions for those that wanted to know(Post 3890 & 3941) [​IMG]

Cynthia12 posted pictures of snow at her place in Utah.[​IMG] The system is moving ON now and will be hitting other places next. Love the Dog! [​IMG]

Pele tripped again and eggs fell into the Bator! [​IMG]
    coldupnorth posted a picture of an BO with a Santa hat and reminded us that it is 7 days until Christmas. mrheinz77 posted the contest update for chiqita(late this morning) See Post 3926. [​IMG]Post 3967 announced a random post contest. Please post on the contest link, not on the main thread!

John Farmer has LF Mottled Cochins! They were a present from his wife!(later we found out that they were from himself but is allowing his wife to have credit)[​IMG]. Razadia says Red has to go! Mean roosters that don't cover hens well are meant for Dog Food! [​IMG] TMNfarm has a mean rooster that attacked the DD. It is going off to be a Guard Chicken! [​IMG]
    Warning: Post 3940 has a serious chicken math problem associated with it! Do not go to that post unless you are very strong willed when it comes to chickens. [​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine posted a diagram of an egg along with an explanation of things that can go wrong with shipped eggs(Post 3962) [​IMG]

Countrypunk92 had a temp spike, but all the eggs seem fine! [​IMG] His incubator is made out of a food dehydrator(Invention Contest?)
    MarineCorpFarmr has been playing in the mud(again!) with is not black anymore truck! [​IMG]and his IT guys are working on a member map for us! [​IMG]

PayPal is really messing up Bettacreeks day! [​IMG].

Many of us think we need another bator!, however we also know we have spent too much on this stuff already, and hope our spouses will fall let us get one as a present. That way the spouse can take credit for the present! That is Christmas Magic [​IMG][​IMG]

CelticOaksFarm posted pictures of Sebastopol geese. [​IMG] Now I want those!

[​IMG]
    Check back tomorrow for more!

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    thanks Ray he actually emailed me, I am inundated with emails in regards to our blue & gold Partridge brahma...

I dont want any others but blacks, and I have a contact in Ireland and we are working on a deal, tape is thick

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    That is so aWesome Missy!!

6. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Heather, OMG Adorable!!!
    We are Vegan/Vegetarian on an organic diet. Pretty much everything in my house is organic except like hawian punch (sp?) and my husbands tortilla chips. Oh, and the eggo waffles and french toast sticks. (If I could get those in the quantity size I needed organically, I totally would.) Those are the only sacrifices I'm willing to make when it comes to non-organic food) But everything else is organic, that is why I want my chickens to eat organic...because we do. When it comes to food, cost isn't a factor, only the best for my children and animals. Also, I think the nature market that I frequent wants organic eggs from me, so why WOULDN'T I do it?? (he questions me about what I'm feeding them all the time and he wants to see the quality of the eggs when they start laying) Looks like I'm going to have 20 chickens...That's gonna be more than enough eggs for us.
    Great idea Missy! 18055 Lower Saucon Township, PA

7. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

I figured you all were organic and that is awesome that you think you will have a place to sell your organic eggs too!! I don't think there is much demand around here for organic most people just want locally raised things! I give you credit for doing all you do the natural way I just couldn't do what you do. Have a close friend who is full vegan and yea I don't know how she does it def takes a lot of self control! So props to you!! I know most feed stores sell organic feed just it is really expensive or atleast our local patina feed store does!

8. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

Nice job! Some people are closer than I thought! Hmmm, roadtrip!!!! [​IMG]

9. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Googled organic chicken feed,,, turns out Blue Seal has a line of organic foods,,,, not sure if you have a dealer / feed mill close to you,,,, some Tractor Supply stores carry Blue Seal horse feed,,, perhaps they can get it for you...... check it out

10. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    LOL...considering how frequently I wind up in Lebanon County or Lancaster County...I consider EVERYONE a roadtrip!

PS, Fiancee, 2 yo and I will be in Philly tomorrow! Going to the Reading Terminal Market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by