Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I will go see what the eggs say if anything abreves maybe!! brb

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OMG it has a RED HEAD!! tomorrow I will look better, I am not sure which 2 are the gold laced cochin....

two eggs said DM and BM ???? and one has a ? lol

I think duramax has red laced wyandottes but I think they all have feather legs.... will check when I put the 12 in the bator in the brooder in the morning.... I will attempt to sex, but I dont have bands : (

3. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's her sister that has the blue laced red wyandottes,,,, not that she couldn't get eggs from her,,, silver wyandottes have a distinct pattern all over them,,, would think they would also,,, and are clean legged. Some Marans are born with brown areas on them,,,, not considered to be a good trait by most,,, some say they are " over melanized " or turn out to be " mossy " meaning the black lacks the green luster in sunlight. They almost always vary,,,, that's why alot of people cull heavily, to keep some uniformity to their stock. Most like the chicks to have the "penguin" look and not be too dark or have brown anywhere, believed that comes from recessive genes from crossing colors,,,, usually wheaton.

4. Ray from PA

How dark were the surprise dark eggs.... marans dark ?

The one chick looks like it could be a cochin,,, they should have feathering on it's middle toe, the marans should not

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh I def know the cochin are smaller than the maran chicks, so I should be able to pick them out plus the dont have as much white yellow and stuff

7. Ray from PA

the " red head " may be the gold laced cochin,,,, let's call her Sally ......lol ..... so glad your hatch went well

8. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Here are the LF Cochin pics Ray requested. First up, blue rooster,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Black Hens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Crappy Crappy Day. I didn't let anyone out yesterday as we were in Philly all day. This morning I let everyone out. All 3 babies came out and went to the small outside waterer. I came back in the house. Fiancee went out awhile later...and later told me he only saw 2 of the babies. So then I went out a bit later...I only saw 2 of the babies..so I went on a hunt...and found one of my cockerels dead behind the water barrel! GRRR!!!!

Then we got a message on the phone from the neighbor up the road. Said that if my ducks are caught on their property again, she's gonna shoot them!!!! I was already planning on keeping everyone in for the next 3 days, as we're leaving for NJ tomorrow afternoon....but now when I come back, I have to clip wings! Something I don't want to do! And how the expletive deleted am I supposed to keep them from WALKING up there???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by