Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome !!!
Did you ever get any of the meat birds to hatch... still working on some crosses of my own using delaware over freedom rangers..

Yes! I have cornish cross mixes in the big brooder now. They doubled the weight of the leghorns in a few days, even though they're half leghorn themselves. The fertility rate seems like it's about the same as the other hens. I'm still waiting to hatch my first turkeys, but they've had 100% fertility so far, minus one that froze. My incubator fried the first batches, but I have several in there now.

I just saw an ad for a new "As Seen On T.V." item. It is called Remark A Bulb. Works like a light bulb, but has a switch on it for power outages. No batteries needed. Can't find how long the power lasts, just that the LED lights will never die. I am thinking it would be great in the coop for heating water when the power is out. For those without electricity, you can use it to heat your water all winter (as soon as we figure out how long it stays on).
If anyone decides to get one/some (when they hit CVS and Wal Mart) please post your findings.
BTW, I called the bank. They said that they KNEW I hadn't made the purchase when my card was stolen, but hadn't gotten around to fixing the problem yet.
roll.png
If it is LED, it won't generate enough heat, just light.
From the ad, it looks like a rechargable flashlight shaped like a spot light...

Chad ,,,,,,,,Betta has quail also, I think some of my first quail came from her over a year ago.......not sure though, i lose track of swap eggs..

Yes! I have cornish cross mixes in the big brooder now. They doubled the weight of the leghorns in a few days, even though they're half leghorn themselves. The fertility rate seems like it's about the same as the other hens. I'm still waiting to hatch my first turkeys, but they've had 100% fertility so far, minus one that froze. My incubator fried the first batches, but I have several in there now.

My cornish x roo won't breed yet. I'm getting white bresse in the spring and might put the cornish hens in that pen, if this big ol' cornish cross roo never starts breeding. He's a good boy, but not the most robust bird in the world. I picked him up and suffocated him. Just too much body for the heart to keep up with and that extra pressure was just too much. Luckily I didn't kill him, but I'm definitely going to have a good back up plan.

I have just been experimenting, I have a few left over hens from the freedom rangers over the summer.....and I told people on here that I would always take unwanted roosters,,,,so i ended up with many rooster to pick from...... surprisingly there's not alot of fighting in the rooster pen, and I enjoy that pen,,,,colorful and noisy..

I always wondered about cornish x hens under a freedom ranger roo. But the bresse will be my project if the cx roo never gets busy. For now, it's leghorns and ameraucanas over them. I am curious about the leghorn cross... might make a better dual purpose breed. The cornish x hens are pretty good layers, from 7-9 eggs per day from 10 hens. The one I don't think is laying, she keeps pulling the fake broody crap!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom