Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky

Yes! I have cornish cross mixes in the big brooder now. They doubled the weight of the leghorns in a few days, even though they're half leghorn themselves. The fertility rate seems like it's about the same as the other hens. I'm still waiting to hatch my first turkeys, but they've had 100% fertility so far, minus one that froze. My incubator fried the first batches, but I have several in there now.

2. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Now I know one of you are gonna just take off wth that one,,,come on ,,, I am waiting......won't be me ,,,brain dead, need some sleep...

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    poo

1 person likes this.
  4. radioman

radioman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Indiana County
    If it is LED, it won't generate enough heat, just light.
    From the ad, it looks like a rechargable flashlight shaped like a spot light...

5. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Chad ,,,,,,,,Betta has quail also, I think some of my first quail came from her over a year ago.......not sure though, i lose track of swap eggs..

6. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky

My cornish x roo won't breed yet. I'm getting white bresse in the spring and might put the cornish hens in that pen, if this big ol' cornish cross roo never starts breeding. He's a good boy, but not the most robust bird in the world. I picked him up and suffocated him. Just too much body for the heart to keep up with and that extra pressure was just too much. Luckily I didn't kill him, but I'm definitely going to have a good back up plan.

7. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I just started new on the quail. Only have two acceptable hens though. One is ten grams less than the other two at three weeks, so her eggs will be fridge eggs only.

8. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    I have just been experimenting, I have a few left over hens from the freedom rangers over the summer.....and I told people on here that I would always take unwanted roosters,,,,so i ended up with many rooster to pick from...... surprisingly there's not alot of fighting in the rooster pen, and I enjoy that pen,,,,colorful and noisy..

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I always wondered about cornish x hens under a freedom ranger roo. But the bresse will be my project if the cx roo never gets busy. For now, it's leghorns and ameraucanas over them. I am curious about the leghorn cross... might make a better dual purpose breed. The cornish x hens are pretty good layers, from 7-9 eggs per day from 10 hens. The one I don't think is laying, she keeps pulling the fake broody crap!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by