Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif

It makes me feel like a scientist to speak in Celsius and grams, but that's just me. Maybe I should buy a white lab coat to wear in the incubator room, LOL.

I second the white lab coat and I will also suggest little glasses that sit at the end of your nose! :lol:

my first chick hatched today!!!!

Now for a few questions! Haha

how long should I keep him in there for? How long till he should start eating and drinking ?

Congratulations!!

Learned a very important lesson tonight.
When you set duck eggs in the incubator, make sure they are all duck eggs.

Came home from dinner and found her in the incubator.

Congratulations! Looks like a good surprise to me! And I fully agree, he/she looks awfully lonely....:oops:

Brahma bantam youngsters.

Trying out their wings and just happy to be alive.

The dog wants some chicken feed, but knows he's not allowed inside the coop, so he's guarding it.
wink.png

Brahma bantam youngsters. Trying out their wings and just happy to be alive. The dog wants some chicken feed, but knows he's not allowed inside the coop, so he's guarding it.;)
they're gorgeous! How old are they? I can't wait to get our coop finished so our babies can get out there. They love being outside. Only 2 more weeks until they're old enough :)

They are 9 weeks old. We positioned them close to a briar/bramble bush and a low coop so they have a greater opportunity to escape the hawks should the need arise. We also have a trio of adult chickens out with them to sound the alarm. They had one experience with a low flying buzzard that sent them scurrying under the coop and bushes, so they do have a least a bit of an instinct concerning dangerous raptors. I don't think the buzzards are dangerous to them, they just don't know the difference between them and the hawks because the adult fowl will not run for cover when the buzzards are flying overhead.
Our other chicks that were hatched out of my Cubalaya have a far greater sense to danger than the first generation hatchery stock. I believe it's because the survivors survived to continue breeding and passed at least a bit of that will to live on to their offspring. My 5th generation free ranging fowl seem to have a built in sense of what is dangerous to them, they will quickly distinguish between the danger of a hawk and lack of danger from a buzzard even if there are no adults present to teach them.

They are 9 weeks old. We positioned them close to a briar/bramble bush and a low coop so they have a greater opportunity to escape the hawks should the need arise. We also have a trio of adult chickens out with them to sound the alarm. They had one experience with a low flying buzzard that sent them scurrying under the coop and bushes, so they do have a least a bit of an instinct concerning dangerous raptors. I don't think the buzzards are dangerous to them, they just don't know the difference between them and the hawks because the adult fowl will not run for cover when the buzzards are flying overhead.
Our other chicks that were hatched out of my Cubalaya have a far greater sense to danger than the first generation hatchery stock. I believe it's because the survivors survived to continue breeding and passed at least a bit of that will to live on to their offspring. My 5th generation free ranging fowl seem to have a built in sense of what is dangerous to them, they will quickly distinguish between the danger of a hawk and lack of danger from a buzzard even if there are no adults present to teach them.
I had a buzzard incident last year, took 2 youngsters, when it came back a third day I was ready and the buzzard lost.....you should hear the thud they make when they land on a metal roof, course hubby was not happy to climb up there and get it...

we leave the buzzards alone, as long as they are not causing to much trouble, some of my birds will react and sound the alarm for a low flying buzzard

before that day, I did not think the buzzards would do that.

Back
Top Bottom