Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Back to bees:

So M I reading correctly ( been researching) that I need to pay a registration to keep a few hives primarily for pollination in this state?

Is the registration and inspection a pain or just another law with little consequence?

Is there anything this state doesn't regulate? (I'm in one of those moods)

We've tried our hand at bees, never got registered (I haven't even heard of that), but lost 4 hives that year and have been discouraged, will be trying again in the future after we figure it out more. The hives and suit were so expensive we need to give it another go eventually.

Have you seen chicks out of that partridge boy yet? How is their leg feathering. I'm having pretty good success here getting some clean legged chicks, but I've got a clean legged pullet. (That helps). I assume all your girls are clean legged.

Thank you. He passed away sometime during the night.

Sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif

We've tried our hand at bees, never got registered (I haven't even heard of that), but lost 4 hives that year and have been discouraged, will be trying again in the future after we figure it out more. The hives and suit were so expensive we need to give it another go eventually.

Have you seen chicks out of that partridge boy yet? How is their leg feathering. I'm having pretty good success here getting some clean legged chicks, but I've got a clean legged pullet. (That helps). I assume all your girls are clean legged.

Blarney:

When you get ready for Bees, check out Exton Bee...He's a really great source of....he also has chooks...

Back to bees:

So M I reading correctly ( been researching) that I need to pay a registration to keep a few hives primarily for pollination in this state?

Is the registration and inspection a pain or just another law with little consequence?

Is there anything this state doesn't regulate? (I'm in one of those moods)

You are required to register your hives in Pennsylvania ~ The fee is $10. for 2 years no matter how many hives you have. I think the inspection is a good thing. The State will inspect your hives ~ mainly for American Foul Brood which is highly contagious and can spread between apiaries. We have 20 hives and have been keeping bees for about 7 years ~ we have been inspected 1 time. They are supposed to inspect every other year, however the State doesn't provide enough funding to hire enough inspectors.

The State will also GPS locate your hives so that if there is any planned spraying for insects by the State near your hives ~ they are supposed to notify you to protect your bees.

We plan on producing and selling a few nucs this spring as all of our hives made it through the winter and are pretty strong right now. If you sell or give away nucs or queens you also are required to have a permit & be inspected each year. The permit and inspection are free.

Here is a link the the PS State Apiary Registration Form http://ycbk.org/PDF/Apiary_reg.pdf

Last edited:

I haven't hatched any of his yet. I divided my flock for color the other week and I'm giving them a little time. He was not accepted well and kept to himself. The others didn't hurt him, just chased him away. He's much happier now.

I read the law. I understand the reason for it. It just send they basically say the government can come on your property any time for any reason etc. That is the part I don't like.
I found the local inspector is also the county beekeeper association President and lives about 3 miles from me. I contracted him last night by email and he seems like a really nice guy. I'm sure I'll be taking to him more soon. I'm not interested in a lot of honey or a business, more local pollinators and maybe some for personal use. I'm really intrigued by top bar hives. I'll continue research.

Quote:
For anyone who wants to read the PA State Bee Law here is a link to it ~ http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/pdf/paBeeLaw.pdf

Although the law says they can come on your property, with less than 10 inspectors for the entire state it is highly unlikely you will be inspected often and they have always been very nice about calling to make an appointment. Most inspectors are other beekeepers and understand the importance. Also you are subject to the same regulations even if you don't register your hives.

We tried a long top bar hive and gave it up. Top bar hives are very hard to over winter in this area. You can do foundationless frames in a Langstroth hive with better overwintering results. The bees will build natural comb within the empty wood frame and it can be harvested as cut comb or honey.

Back
Top Bottom