Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Gorgeous healthy looking birds!.
love.gif

Thanks! Though I believe the most accurate description would be 'spoiled rotten'!
gig.gif

Wingstone......  how did the White Rock boys and the Barred Rock trio make out? 

They are all doing good, still in a side pen instead of the main pen( just to many Roo's to get to over there). They have been a little picky on food, I feeds daily treat of corn in the winter and they seem t think they can hold out and eat all corn instead of the food they should eat... I keep having to have the conversation of no eat your meal you get no dessert.

They are all doing good, still in a side pen instead of the main pen( just to many Roo's to get to over there). They have been a little picky on food, I feeds daily treat of corn in the winter and they seem t think they can hold out and eat all corn instead of the food they should eat... I keep having to have the conversation of no eat your meal you get no dessert.

They do like their treat, but they will eat eventually. One of the WR roos I kept follows me around in the coop and yard tugging on my shirt to see if I have any treats for him... he is cute, but I have literally tripped over him many times.

I had a morning visitor...I do not condone feeding them, but they sure are pretty.
What is that visitor? I can't see from the pic.
I came out of the coop earlier to my super dog growling at a fox that had tried to sneak up. My Ruger was blocking his way to me and the coop. The fox was not afraid of me and not having a gun I threw the feed bucket at it. It ran a few feet away so I yelled for my pup and we ran. I spent the last hour trying to dispose of the very strange acting fox. Things I learned today: 1. I'm a terrible shot and need LOTS of target practice. 2. Trying to be Annie Oakley while having the flu (fever, shaking and weak) is not a super idea. 3. My 20lb pup has the heart of a lion and is my protector. (He's getting a piece of deer steak for supper) 4. Pistol needs to be on my hip whenever I go out. Feed buckets are only mildly effective. 5. Finally, crazy animals need to stay away from my coop because even though I can barely stand today I will defend my flock.
Glad you were able to fend him off. Sounds like you have a great guard dog! I wonder if the fox was rabid, that does sound like unusual behavior... Fell better!
Since most of Pa is being buried under snow, what's for dinner... Here it is gonna be. Baked rabbit with scallop potatoes
When should I be by for dinner? Still have no sink, washer, dryer, oven, etc. I'm not as resourceful as Silkie!
Elizabethtown area. New to chicken keeping, and generally loving it!
Welcome!
Wow!! These are amazing. Sure cure for the winter blues. Nothing quite says 'winter' like scraping frozen poo out of nesting boxes. :sick spent my morning cleaning coops. Mfeels real good knowing they are clean and dry. Although I have a coop infested with lice and mites. One of my cockerels was so badly infested that I pulled him out and bathed him....several times. He's in the laundry room, not quite completely dry, but eating. Sure hope he recovers. And I sure hope his brother doesn't beat the tar out of him when he returns to the coop. All the other birds in that coop got the 'shake n bake' treatment -fill pillow case with Permethrin Powder and just add chicken. :D
Love it! Shake n bake! :lau
Hi! Getting ready for my first Flock. Does anyone know of good breeders around harrisburg/lancaster/york area? I've got my heart set on a barred rock, an EE, a golden laced wyandotte and a frizzle cochin.
Welcome!
No I've never owned chickens before. Growing up tho grandma must have had hundreds .om her farm for both meat and eggs. I will definitely keep you all updated with photos I'm sure I will need the help to guess what the exotic one is. I know I already regret not making the coop twice the size. Sigh.
Builders remorse affects us all. :lol:
:frow Hello to all of the new folks! Glad to have you onboard! Hopefully we will all be able to help you find any breeds you never knew you needed! Hope everyone takes care when out on the ice and that the worst of the injuries are limited to bumps and bruises. Flu season is definitely here with a vengeance! Basically we are all stuck just getting through it :barnie .... hopefully everyone who gets it is able to fight it off without major consequences! I haven't been on much with having a busy work week, this week will be about 73 hours, if my next shift doesn't run over like they sometimes do... In coop news we had 3 hens hatch out chicks over the weekend and now have 3 more setting! They evidently didn't look outside to see that it was white instead of green! :idunno Jeckle is hiding her little ones.... she is not impressed with us silly humans trying to get pictures! Bess with hers... and Janeway watching over her gangs feed dish
Congrats! So cute to have so many happy Mamas! I think I will let My Mama hen outside with her chicks next week. :oops:
Hi everyone :frow I'm looking for a Flemish Giant doe in the Pittsburgh area. Anyone from around here have any leads? Thanks
Welcome!

My three year old saw these pictures and immediately exclaimed that she LOVED them and that we need to make 'coats' for our chickens! What's the purpose of a chicken saddle?

Fisherlady is right on :) it also allows the feathers to be regrown easily. They also look cute lol. I think I'm going to start making them myself now. They look so simple to do. Hubby even suggested I make one for each of the girls just to look cute lol

ISO..
Eggs or chicks..
Pilgrim geese
Muscovy
Guinea
Chukar
Pheasant

Patiently waiting for spring, just need to put together a list of what is coming and what I still need to search for....

Back
Top Bottom