Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Lost one of the meaties this morning... When I went down to feed them I noticed one was really lethargic, just laying with it's head down so I knew something was wrong. I brought it up and put it under the second heat lamp in a box so I could try to feed it some electrolyte water. It was too far gone, I'm thinking it was on the bottom of the chick pile last night. I'm going to hang the second light down in the big brooder and keep them spaced apart to try to avoid the nightly chick pile. Hubs and I are fine, even the girls (6 and 3yo) handled the death really well. The DOG is devastated! She's still pacing around where we tried to save the chick, I've never seen such sad puppy eyes as when the little chick convulsed and died. She still tried to push it with her nose to coax it to get back up, it was the saddest thing ever. I never would have thought that a 9 year old dog would ever get so attached to baby birds.

Starting fermented feed today, so they'll still be eating dry for the next 2 days.  There are a few other Cornish Roasters that are looking less vibrant than the others, think it would help to put Sav-A-Chick electrolytes in the big waterer? Anything else I can do for them?

Fisherlady beat me to it. I was gonna say brown sugar in the water too. I also use a vitamin powder mix. TSC always has it with the chick meds. Not sure where my bottle is right now, but it's a small white bottle with a black & yellow label. The powder is yellow. It's a vitamin, mineral & electrolyte powder.

Busy chicken day for us today. Butchered 4 extra boys and moved our first hatched chicks of the year (from dheltzel) out to the little coop. They did not understand the concept of going in the coop for the night AT ALL. They didn't appreciate me shoving then in it either lol.
Those carcasses look nice and meaty.

It's so cold this morning! I was worried about the little ones since it was their first night outside but this morning they're out and about, flying around, cuddling up when they're cold, chowing down. Just generally having a good time. They're fine :)

went to eighty-four auction this morning, wow was it cold out early, our first outing to the auction this year, just got back last wed. anyway, glad we went, a lady brought in 27 meat chicks, about three to four weeks old and i got them for 2.25 each, i think thats a good deal, already got a couple of bags of feed in them at least
lol.png

went to eighty-four auction this morning, wow was it cold out early, our first outing to the auction this year, just got back last wed. anyway, glad we went, a lady brought in 27 meat chicks, about three to four weeks old and i got them for 2.25 each, i think thats a good deal, already got a couple of bags of feed in them at least:lol:

Great deal! Congrats!

Welcome back, you know it would have been ok to bring some Florida temperatures with you!!

Back
Top Bottom