Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Your roo seemed fine when I fed everyone this morning... thinking about where I had his box positioned in the van now and his was wedged in pretty well on three sides during the drive so some of his air holes were blocked. I hope his breathing improves overnight, I'd feel terrible if my packing skills/lapse in judgment hurt that handsome guy. :(

Oh, don't take that wrong, I'm not blaming you lol. I was just saying, I'm wondering if that's all it is.

Just got up and I can hear quite the chorus of crows this morning. I have 2 new roos crated out in the screen porch that were picked up this weekend and I think they're both making sure that they are heard lol. Them, on top of my normal crowd, = lots of "music" this morning.

Last edited:
Your roo seemed fine when I fed everyone this morning... thinking about where I had his box positioned in the van now and his was wedged in pretty well on three sides during the drive so some of his air holes were blocked. I hope his breathing improves overnight, I'd feel terrible if my packing skills/lapse in judgment hurt that handsome guy.
sad.png

And yes! that little CCL cockerel is VERY spritely... I'm glad I was ready for him, or we would have been chasing him around the parking lot! He tried to escape every time I opened the crate to give them food and water so I knew to watch him closely at the hand-off. Better keep your eye on him Chaos18, he's going to be a handful!
wink.png
I'm okay with spritely it wouldn't be the first time I've used a net to catch a chicken that wasn't obeying orders.

Choo choo! Chicken train is getting ready to depart from the Allentown station!

Awesome., thank you for being so generous to do that!

Oh, and the progress on my sister's coop... I'm bummed we didn't get it completely finished (and that I didn't follow my design and put the roof on wrong), but it is done enough to house chickens. She will just need to put the shingles on and finish painting the outside white. Oh, and they also need to add some type of handle for pulling it around. They only plan to move it 2x a year at season change.

It looks great! Better than my coop that looks like it was built by Mr. Magoo!

I agree with Dheltzel, I bought my paint as an "oops" gallon. My coop is a lovely dark grey color.

Update on my mother, they were finally able to close her chest up last night and they will start waking her up today. Hopefully breathing tube will come out later this week. :D

Awesome., thank you for being so generous to do that!
It looks great! Better than my coop that looks like it was built by Mr. Magoo!

I agree with Dheltzel, I bought my paint as an "oops" gallon. My coop is a lovely dark grey color.

Update on my mother, they were finally able to close her chest up last night and they will start waking her up today. Hopefully breathing tube will come out later this week.
big_smile.png

Good news!
celebrate.gif
I'm sure your mom will feel better soon.

I never thought about these paints until dheltzel mentioned it. That's a great idea.

They seem just fine and adorable
smile.png
I have them in a crate in the screen porch with a thick blanket covering most of it. I put plastic on all the screens today too (except the door). Think they'll be ok out there? The roo's breathing is a bit raspy. I'm hoping it's just from being in the box for so long. He is really unique looking.

ETA: that little CCL cockerel that was in with the girls is a little wild man! He kept making escape attempts lol
wee.gif
So happy for you and the chickens. Soon there will be lots of peeps in your yard.

Looks really nice.

Talk about white paint, I find this white primer at homedepot very cheap:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KILZ-2-2...imer-Sealer-and-Stain-Blocker-20005/100371299

Do you think it's a good choice for painting coop?

Perfect! I start all of my coops with KILZ, then I paint them in whatever ridiculous color I find in the 'Oops' section -Paint that has been mixed and returned for whatever reason. Usually about $7 a can!. I try to stick to the earth colors, but end up with pinks and purples quite often.

Oh, and the progress on my sister's coop... I'm bummed we didn't get it completely finished (and that I didn't follow my design and put the roof on wrong), but it is done enough to house chickens. She will just need to put the shingles on and finish painting the outside white. Oh, and they also need to add some type of handle for pulling it around. They only plan to move it 2x a year at season change.

NO THIS IS IMPRESSIVELY ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!
love.gif
clap.gif

So chiques chicks gave me a good idea to keep the weather out of the wire windows on my sister's coop since there is no roof overhang as planned. Tilt out windows! I found a good example to send to my sister, although I bet I'll be making them for her when we go home for Thanksgiving, lol. I really love this idea, as we had planned for them to tack a piece of plexi over the windows for winter anyway, now it will all be integrate - open the tilt windows in the summer for ventilation and they'll act as an awning to keep out rain, close them in the winter to keep the drafts out. Maybe I'm glad I messed up the roof! haha.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/342305/how-to-screen-door/10

Thanks for all the compliments. It's hard to believe I did all of that in the equivalent of 3 days (one and a half days on Labor Day weekend and one and a half days on Halloween weekend) and I had all 3 of my kids to tend to while building this weekend - although my sister's boyfriend and his buddy did help get the roof up.

It has been a few years since I last posted. This forum is still doing fantastic!

Odd request given the time of year, but do we have any silkie breeders within a few hours of SE Pennsylvania? I am looking for 2 female silkies, preferably adults if possible. Thank you!

It has been a few years since I last posted. This forum is still doing fantastic!

Odd request given the time of year, but do we have any silkie breeders within a few hours of SE Pennsylvania? I am looking for 2 female silkies, preferably adults if possible. Thank you!

You are thought of often!

Back
Top Bottom