Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi all! I'm from Newtown, in Bucks County. Looking for local hatching eggs starting in Feb/March. Let me know if anyone wants to sell a few to a newbie hatcher!
Welcome to the group!

What breed(s) are you looking for? I would bet we can find someone in your general area with eggs for you.

I used a tarp last year on the one side and it worked great but made it so dark in there. This year, I want to do all the run walls. The eyelets were very convenient though.

I bought some reinforced clear tarps last fall for my new coop. They are wonderful! Best thing since heated dog water bowls for wintertime help.
I shopped around a lot online, the prices vary wildly -- always more than the blue or silver ones, but way cheaper than corrugated fiberglass.

Also, they produce a greenhouse effect, make sure you have ventilation on sunny days (even very cold days).

@dhetzel here's some bcms you gave me for my broody

These 2 haven't got the copper color on their neck feathers.

I'm thinking this one might be a roo

Awesome photos! What breed of chicken is that black and white one with the floppy ears? :thumbsup  The last picture, what kind of hen? Her markings are awesome.

Thanks, that black and white one is Dillon, an English Shepherd...he is great with the birds but heck on varmits! He is Mindy's back up.
The last hen is Pidgy, she is a silkie mix mutt, but worth her weight in gold to us. She is a gorgeous hen and she is so easy to photograph...

@dhetzel here's some bcms you gave me for my broody
These 2 haven't got the copper color on their neck feathers.

I'm thinking this one might be a roo
I think you are right. Comb size is a good general indicator for single combed breeds like Marans, but with BCM's, the amount of copper is a really good indicator also.

I am so exhausted. Very busy day at the farm. I'm starting to build an extension to the main coop, to take it from 12x24 to 20x24 in size. This coop is directly on the ground so I can do deep litter and ensure it can drain, but that makes the mental calculations for dealing with the slightly uneven ground all that much more complicated.

I'm also taking this opportunity to turn it into a Woods-style open air coop. It will have a 4 ft high window the entire length of the coop. Roosting areas are well away from the window. I'm hoping this reduces or eliminates frostbite on the roos' combs.

I'm tired just thinking about all the work needed.

Back
Top Bottom