Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

That's a pretty good breeding strategy. Do you hang onto a few different cockerels to make sure they're not carrying an off color egg gene? I find with the Marans, it's important, but not as easy to cull for since you've got to grow out the sire's chicks to laying age before selecting.
I wish I had the room and time to test mate multiple cockerels. I guess my strategy is a little haphazard with the males, I just pick the ones that I feel look the best, with a little nod toward the SOP, but only a general idea, like I know Welsummers should be tall and have yellow legs. If the colors looked "off" I wouldn't breed from that roo, but otherwise it's more about size and temperment.

I had to cull my best looking Reese Legbar roo due to "personality conflict". I try to have a zero tolerance policy toward mean roos, meaning that trumps almost everything else. For hens, egg color is my primary goal, mostly because it's easy to select for, but also because I believe it often does not get enough attention.

I just came back from my boyscout meeting. My scout master was dressed up as Santa and the boys went to the nursing home to sing carols for the residents. He said last week that he was dressed up as Santa last week for the firehouse and they had a picture day with kids then with pets. He told me some person brought 3 chickens to have their picture taken with Santa. I was laughing so hard and I said "it wasn't me!' lol Ok, which one of you took your chickens to have a picture with Santa???
Nope, I didn't take a chicken in to see Santa but after my puppy was done (He licked Santa's glasses until they were fogged up. Then he decided Santa's beard was a tug/chew toy.) poor Santa probably would have preferred a chicken to the rambunctious puppy.

Last edited:
Got my MPC eggs today.
Eggs shipped out on Saturday the 26th, I received them on Monday the 28th. No damage to any of them. Won a dozen eggs and they sent 16 (14 Dominiques and 2 Black Copper Marans). They are currently resting and will go into the bator tomorrow.

Hey everyone! Long time no see! Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone.

I got my first duck egg EVER today! So excited, it was in a nest box too (I have two ground level nest boxes for the ducks).

I got a HovaBator for Christmas... call ducklings, anyone?
1f60f.png

Last edited:
Finally got an egg yesterday!!!! Not sure which one, but I am happy!
Kudos!
Got my MPC eggs today. Eggs shipped out on Saturday the 26th, I received them on Monday the 28th. No damage to any of them. Won a dozen eggs and they sent 16 (14 Dominiques and 2 Black Copper Marans). They are currently resting and will go into the bator tomorrow.
Sweet! Did you win these on the NYD Hatch thread?
Hey everyone! Long time no see! Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone. I got my first duck egg EVER today! So excited, it was in a nest box too (I have two ground level nest boxes for the ducks).
I got a HovaBator for Christmas... call ducklings, anyone?
1f60f.png
Oh My! That's a big egg!!

Back
Top Bottom