Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I vote a few emu eggs, turkeys, geese, ducks, chickens, and maybe a goat egg or two to go in that big bator.

ETA: It's going to be 4 degrees as a low tonight! Gotta bring in the frizzles...

Last edited:
I second the question: What's going in there!? Not that I couldn't find things to fill it with if I thought long enough...
Chicken and turkey eggs. I use plastic egg holders from commercial incubators that will let me squeeze 576 eggs in those 6 trays (8 dozen per tray). Combined with the Sportsman 1202 I used all last year that holds 288, I can set 24 dozen chicken eggs per week (less with turkeys since they have to stay in there an extra week.

Today I brought 3 dozen eggs from the farm and their production is still not up to what it should be, I hope it's twice that or more later in the spring, so filling that incubator is no problem. Selling that many chicks per week could present some issues. I'm hoping to move a lot of them through the local Agway, it takes a lot of my time to meet people at my house and sell just a few chicks at a time. I still plan to do that for some customers, but many prefer to go some place with regular store hours, where they can also get all the supplies they might need.

Anne,

They are men's socks. They cost like $15

What kind of birds do you raise? Standard meat and layers, or a wider variety? Not that I need any more, but that hasn't stopped me yet
wink.png
Most are in my signature line. The turkeys are Midget Whites, Royal Palms, and Mottled Blacks. I have some other Ameraucanas "in the works", but not laying yet.

Most are in my signature line. The turkeys are Midget Whites, Royal Palms, and Mottled Blacks. I have some other Ameraucanas "in the works", but not laying yet.

I'm just discovering the joys of turkeys -- it sounds you've got like a wonderful setup, and I hope your increased capacity for hatching means that you manage to get things a little more stabilized in terms of selling peeps. I just checked out your listing... you have some very cool birds!
thumbsup.gif

I'm just discovering the joys of turkeys -- it sounds you've got like a wonderful setup, and I hope your increased capacity for hatching means that you manage to get things a little more stabilized in terms of selling peeps. I just checked out your listing... you have some very cool birds!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you. I really enjoy them, and I'm having fun distributing rare breeds to local people that would otherwise be stuck with whatever TSC decides to sell, not what they really want.

Thank you. I really enjoy them, and I'm having fun distributing rare breeds to local people that would otherwise be stuck with whatever TSC decides to sell, not what they really want.

I live just outside a town where people are only allowed 4 laying hens per household. They can't even buy from TSC, since they have a minimum purchase of 6 chicks or something
barnie.gif
and of course no big hatchery is going to sell you four pullets without adding on a giant shipping fee. I'm glad you're doing what you do. Beautiful chickens/turkeys for everyone!

I live just outside a town where people are only allowed 4 laying hens per household. They can't even buy from TSC, since they have a minimum purchase of 6 chicks or something
barnie.gif
and of course no big hatchery is going to sell you four pullets without adding on a giant shipping fee. I'm glad you're doing what you do. Beautiful chickens/turkeys for everyone!
Nice people too. I can't even count how many new friends I've made. It's a little worrisome to send vulnerable chicks off with people I barely know, but mostly these people try very, very hard to make the best possible life for them. I sometimes get pictures of those chicks all grown up and livin' the life of luxury.

I especially like when kids come along to pick out their chicks. Sometimes they name them with kooky names right on the spot. Kids and chicks are a natural fit because kids have time to socialize the chicks and I really believe the chickens enjoy their humans also.

Back
Top Bottom