Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome to Pa, live near the Pittsburgh airport- COME ON
rant.gif
SPRING!!!

Ok guys, I need some advice. So my splash marans girl is worrying me quite a bit. A few weeks ago I found lice and nits on her. Dusted her with permethrin a few times, and it seems like this problem has resolved - don't see anymore crawlies. But last week I started to see her standing in the run looking a little puffed up, head tucked under her wing. Now, it is very very cold outside right now, so I attributed it to that. Her poo looks completely normal. Then she started to look a bit pale in the face. Yesterday morning I found her missing a pretty significant amount of feathers on her back between/just behind her wings. The area was pretty raw and bloody so I brought her inside, carefully gave her a warm rinse and blew her dry. Kept her in the laundry room last night, got some egg yolk, yogurt and crumbles into her - she's eating okay, a little less interest in drinking. But as per the feed stores advice, I also started her on duramycin-10.

Her balance was off a bit last night but this morning seems quite a bit worse. She's pretty alert and still interested in eating, but tires pretty easily and the more active she gets, the worse the ataxia gets. She's actually started to put her head down and still have her butt in the air when she gets tired. My other five girls look vibrant and healthy, so I'm pretty worried about my sweet splash girl.

Any ideas or advice? :/

Crap! It happened... two broken eggs in the pocket of my 'dry clean only' wool coat! Yesterday I got two frozen (to the point of expanding and cracking their shells) eggs out of the nest box and put them in my pocket bc my hands were full of frozen bunny waterers. I remembered them this morning and of course they had thawed and spilled their contents inside my pocket. They are patch pockets so I can't turn them inside out to hand wash. Cleaning this up is going to be a huge PITA, will take at least 2 days to dry and it's my only winter coat. Gah!

Ok guys, I need some advice. So my splash marans girl is worrying me quite a bit. A few weeks ago I found lice and nits on her. Dusted her with permethrin a few times, and it seems like this problem has resolved - don't see anymore crawlies. But last week I started to see her standing in the run looking a little puffed up, head tucked under her wing. Now, it is very very cold outside right now, so I attributed it to that. Her poo looks completely normal. Then she started to look a bit pale in the face. Yesterday morning I found her missing a pretty significant amount of feathers on her back between/just behind her wings. The area was pretty raw and bloody so I brought her inside, carefully gave her a warm rinse and blew her dry. Kept her in the laundry room last night, got some egg yolk, yogurt and crumbles into her - she's eating okay, a little less interest in drinking. But as per the feed stores advice, I also started her on duramycin-10.

Her balance was off a bit last night but this morning seems quite a bit worse. She's pretty alert and still interested in eating, but tires pretty easily and the more active she gets, the worse the ataxia gets. She's actually started to put her head down and still have her butt in the air when she gets tired. My other five girls look vibrant and healthy, so I'm pretty worried about my sweet splash girl.

Any ideas or advice?
hmm.png

Sounds like you are covering the bases....you can add a vitamin supplement to her water such as chick saver or nutridrench, or you can add a little brown sugar to it to encourage her to drink. The back damage can be treated with triple antibiotic (without pain reliever). You should post in emergency section also.

Oh yeah, I did add a packet of chick saver to the water as well. Will dig through the medicine cabinet for some antibiotic cream sans pain relief.

It's the ataxia that has me most worried, it's disconcerting to watch. But at least she's still trying to get around. I'll pop over to the emergency section.

Thank you <3

Last edited:
Crap! It happened... two broken eggs in the pocket of my 'dry clean only' wool coat! Yesterday I got two frozen (to the point of expanding and cracking their shells) eggs out of the nest box and put them in my pocket bc my hands were full of frozen bunny waterers. I remembered them this morning and of course they had thawed and spilled their contents inside my pocket. They are patch pockets so I can't turn them inside out to hand wash. Cleaning this up is going to be a huge PITA, will take at least 2 days to dry and it's my only winter coat. Gah!

Never understood dry clean only for wool and silk. They were around as garments long before dry cleaning was invented. Things that make me go hmmmmmm.

I was hoping to begin incubating soon, but realized I never separated my breeds after they got mixed this fall. If the weather warms enough I can get some unforeseen eggs, I may throw some in soon anyway. Curious to see what if get with the possibility of SFH and orps crossing, especially since a lot of my orps are not standard colors, more like gold laced or something. Never did understand that whole laced, penciled, whatever stuff. I just like their color.

The girls in with bino are starting to lay regularly, so obviously they will be going into the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom