Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The Silkie was off the nest this morning again. I think she is just enjoying sleeping in the nest box. I will check her feet tonight to make sure she doesn't have bumblefoot or something that is preventing her from hopping up.

I decided to give the new sick chicken some Oxytet. She just looks miserable. @dheltzel. Do I treat for one week? Also giving her some scrambled eggs this morning.

Also, I think one or two of my CCLs have starting laying! I found these four eggs in the window well next to the house, haha. They are telling me I better hurry up with those boxes. I found 8 eggs in the coop last night, so I think I have 9 or maybe 10 laying right now! And that is good news, because I have people who are ready to buy eggs too. :D

Congrats on the new eggers!

Easiest way to determine if your silkie is being broody is to check for poop in the box...a broody doesn't poop in the nest. If she is pooping in it then most likely she has decided it is just a comfy or safe place to spend her nights. Check that she isn't being picked on when trying to roost and that she has a roost that allows her to huddle down over her feet. Our silkies prefer wide, flat roosts or shelves to set down on, if given a shallow box (think box like soda or water bottles or mason jars come in) with hay or shavings up on our sand shelves they will use that also.

Thank you, she was back in the box again tonight. I suspect she may be broody, (or trying). I put another egg next to her and she pushed it underneath her. I checked her feet, they look as as lovely as chicken feet can look. I think she may be getting bullied out of the nesting box. I will have that problem fixed this weekend hopefully.

I think she was okay where she was roosting, she and her sister always perch on the top shelf next to the turkeys. Sometimes I found her underneath the nesting boxes, though. I have no idea! Haha!

My Lavender Ops are finally starting to lay!!:weee

Awesome!

I wish I had Muscovies. If I hear of anyone out your way I will let you know. I assume you have checked Craigslist and Pennswoods.

I have checked pennswoods and posted many times in my local facebook groups I was planning to get a pair from a lady but she comments back and says she sold them all after I had already told her I was interested. I did post an ad on pennswoods but I havnt even checked Craigslist yet. Thanks I hear they are great birds that's why I chose them I was going to go with Indian runners but I hear more people say they like these than any breed.

Last edited:
Somehow, I am getting three, then eight. Then three... It's been like that for over a week.

Just the way their cycles are hitting, some lay every other day, some every third, some maybe only twice a week....it just happens to line up in different patterns sometimes. Our silkie pen is like that, 2 eggs one day, three the next, then 4, then back to two. We have two pullets due to start within a month or so, and with them and the spring weather it should pick up.

Just the way their cycles are hitting, some lay every other day, some every third, some maybe only twice a week....it just happens to line up in different patterns sometimes. Our silkie pen is like that, 2 eggs one day, three the next, then 4, then back to two. We have two pullets due to start within a month or so, and with them and the spring weather it should pick up.

Well, there's no cycles at my dojo, the BCMs are laying light and the CCLs have gone on strike again.....getting ready to split my small group into two, x4 chooks groups each and start the second coop/pen up....was trying to ensure the worst of the cold weather was behind us......

Wow. It might be time to fire up your monster incubator lol
You're right. I have a few things I need to "tweak" before I can use it again, but my Dad is moving in with us in the next week or so, and he's the one that taught me how to build stuff, so it's going to be a project for us to work on together. I am hoping to get it working reliably, then I will have a total egg capacity of 1440 eggs (120 dozen). I hope I can sell that many chicks.

This week's hatch is underway. The Olive Eggers are doing well, I set 28 eggs, 24 were fertile and 23 hatched. Looks like 12 are males, but 11 pullet chicks is pretty good. The lady at Agway loves to sell the Olive Eggers, no other store has them. And with the CCL mothers, most will have the distinctive crests.

Back
Top Bottom