Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: Nickle! I love it!! And Casper too! Although his Badger Markings are short lived, they tend to fade to all white.
Quote: . He's already slept with us....
hide.gif

lau.gif

Today is hatch day! First babies out, 1 CCL cockerel and 1 lav ameraucana
smile.png
pictures later!

Quote:
The turkeys are a lot of fun, but different from chickens for sure. I have a just three, and they sleep with the chickens. They are no trouble at all.
Quote:
jumpy.gif
So exciting!! I'm only 20 days behind you two. Mama broody is resolute!

Quote: Hatch Day here too, testing out the Brinsea Mini, got one Black Copper Marans so far...

jumpy.gif
It's that time of year!

Gettysburg

Welcome! What kind of chickens do you have so far?

Just a pondering question for you all. Do you think broodies are more apt to happen in a low stress environment? I was just thinking about it the other day, and I'm surprised that I have 2 broodies already, from chicks that were hatched out in late summer. Especially surprising is the BSL getting the urge.

It seems as though in nature, females generally tend to only raise young in a safe environment. So it makes sense to me that because I have had peaceful flocks that are able to free range with minimal competition for food, they would be quicker to go broody. Have you guys observed this?

You guys are making it really hard not to get an incubator!!! Congrats on all the babies! I want some more! On a really good note the lady that took my Muscovy drakes has turkeys and is going to hatch some for me as a trade the next time she incubates! How does it go, order birds then rush and build coop for them? Check! Annnnnd is it 50% chance for frizzled gene with a frizzled roo and smooth hen? I have no idea what any of their parents looked like.

Last edited:
You guys are making it really hard not to get an incubator!!! Congrats on all the babies! I want some more! On a really good note the lady that took my Muscovy drakes has turkeys and is going to hatch some for me as a trade the next time she incubates! How does it go, order birds then rush and build coop for them? Check! Annnnnd is it 50% chance for frizzled gene with a frizzled roo and smooth hen? I have no idea what any of their parents looked like.
Frizzled is partially dominant, so that cross should be about 50% frizzled progeny.

Back
Top Bottom