Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I love turkeys. I want to raise a few more royal palms for my breeding pen, so I loaned 2 poults to a friend for his granddaughter to raise. He loved them, said they got much tamer than the chicks or ducklings. So, they came back to me last night and I put them into a brooder with a partial wire cover. They seemed fine this morning, but noisy. Tonight I found the brooder empty and started searching the room. They weren't hiding, just perched on a cart and obviously glad to see me. They didn't like getting put back into their brooder, but they didn't fight me, just whistled their discontent at my ending their outing. These 2 are going to be fun to raise.

Turkeys sure are different, they seem somewhat dog like to me, ours will run to greet us, and follow us around the yard.

My mother hen started pecking at her chicks on Monday. On Wednesday she left the temp run and went back with the flock. The littles are about a month old. Is it normal for then to be tired of chicks that early?? She had started to lay about 6 days before "flying the coop"
Each hen has their own time frames, we have one hen who lasts about 4-5 weeks during warm weather but will stay 7 weeks during colder weather. Another hen we have will keep hers till about 10-12 weeks no matter what the weather.... there is just no guarantee. If the chicks have been integrated into the flock already then they will probably be fine, just make sure they have a safe place to roost at night and a creep feeder so they don't get pushed away from food. They will form their own 'mini flock' for the next 10 or 12 weeks and will probably remain 'buddies' into adulthood, though they will take their place in the regular coop pecking order eventually.

Hi everyone - it's been awhile!
Anyone need a moveable hoop coop? BEST. COOP. EVER. Currently listed on philly CL.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/6189698417.html

Also need to rehome our current layers. We have 2 separate flocks.
- flock 1 = welbar (1), crested cream legbars (5), blue maran (1), copper maran (1)
All from @dheltzel stock
- flock 2 = australorp, ameraucana, rhode island red, rhodebar (dheltzel), red splash & black sex-link

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Hey guys, how would you get in contact with a state vet to have a bird tested? A friend of mine is very concerned that 2 of his chicks (roughly 8-10 weeks old) may have MG. He's interested in getting them tested. At least one of them but doesn't know where to start. He's planning to cull them anyway.

@Auroradream26, for the Penn State Animal Diagnostic Lab, they can call 814-863-0837, and their website at http://vbs.psu.edu/adl has a lot of good information as well. I had to call and leave a message there today, and got a call back in just a few hours from a very helpful member of the faculty. I don't know what MG is, but the lab prefers for necropsy that the birds are refrigerated (not frozen) and arrive within 1-2 days of death. They can be sent sealed in a plastic bag, in a regular cardboard box with styrofoam inserted for insulation, and disposable ice packs. I think the fee is about $30, plus the cost of overnight shipping. All of the forms, etc., are available on that website.

@Auroradream26, for the Penn State Animal Diagnostic Lab, they can call 814-863-0837, and their website at http://vbs.psu.edu/adl has a lot of good information as well. I had to call and leave a message there today, and got a call back in just a few hours from a very helpful member of the faculty. I don't know what MG is, but the lab prefers for necropsy that the birds are refrigerated (not frozen) and arrive within 1-2 days of death. They can be sent sealed in a plastic bag, in a regular cardboard box with styrofoam inserted for insulation, and disposable ice packs. I think the fee is about $30, plus the cost of overnight shipping. All of the forms, etc., are available on that website.

Thanks, I passed the info on!

Each hen has their own time frames, we have one hen who lasts about 4-5 weeks during warm weather but will stay 7 weeks during colder weather. Another hen we have will keep hers till about 10-12 weeks no matter what the weather.... there is just no guarantee. If the chicks have been integrated into the flock already then they will probably be fine, just make sure they have a safe place to roost at night and a creep feeder so they don't get pushed away from food. They will form their own 'mini flock' for the next 10 or 12 weeks and will probably remain 'buddies' into adulthood, though they will take their place in the regular coop pecking order eventually.

I was hoping to integrate them in the next few weeks. Three of them are still small enough to fit through the fence so I was waiting for them to get bigger. Now I'm not sure when to integrate them. I have two broody so maybe they will take over protecting them. Oddly enough one broody is a Red sexlink. I'm thinking she was the one that kept watching them through the fence

Hey everyone. I have a ton of catching up to do but was wondering if anyone has experience with water belly? Pretty sure I have a girl with it. I have a syringe to drain it but not sure what to expect or what else to do

Hey everyone. I have a ton of catching up to do but was wondering if anyone has experience with water belly? Pretty sure I have a girl with it. I have a syringe to drain it but not sure what to expect or what else to do

Oh man I haven't heard of it before and there is a thread on BYC about it. Ugh poor things, I hope it can be fixed. I'm sorry.

ETA: With more reading, it sounds like the best thing to do is to drain the fluid whenever the hen fills up. Some people say the fluid slowly decreases over time, but it's due to some sort of liver failure, so I'm not sure how long a hen can live with that.

I hope yours will be ok :hugs

Is fermented feed supposed to have a vinegary smell? It smells good, sorta, but tangy. They seem to like it so far. (Day 3 of trying it.) And I am worried that Rory is going broody now. That's all I need!

Back
Top Bottom