Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

View attachment 1321254 Woke up this morning to more snow, about 5". Whew!

When I went out to my coop this morning, I found my old Silkie dead. She was 8-9 years old and she passed in her nesting box. I remember saying she had had a dirty and stinky butt a few week back, and I had to wash her a couple of times. Strangely, she has some kind of yellow thick goo stuck around her poo, so maybe it was an internal infection. Who knows.

Anyways, I'm just glad she went peacefully, and that last year, she got to live out her dream of being a mother! RIP Loon!

I'm so sorry for your loss :( You gave her a wonderful life though

I think I am losing a chick. It was the smallest and weakest, and had been continuously cheeping, only quieting down when the broody sat on her. I found her a few feet away from the broody laying on her side, barely moving. Shaking and cold. Right now I have her warming up near the fireplace. Not sure if she will make it, but I won't be giving her back to the broody.

She is trying to stand now and is peeping softly. She may have just gotten chilled, but I will still keep her indoors.

IMG_1556.JPG

I hope she'll be fine! I've had that happen a few times when they got away from the broody. It's wonderful when they make a recovery.

I'm hopping so too. She is perking up and screaming her head off now. Her crop is full, and she pooped, so she must have just gotten very chilled. I'll but her back with broody and check often.

She is trying to stand now and is peeping softly. She may have just gotten chilled, but I will still keep her indoors.

View attachment 1321734
I hope she recovers with some TLC, she is a cutie!
I do tend to worry about noisy chicks though, seems that the cheeping is often a sign of distress from a youngster failing to thrive, often not one who does well in a broody hatch because as much as broodies do to protect and feed their youngsters they are heartless when expecting everyone to keep up. 'Survival of the fittest' is the broody way. I understand it, but since we aren't exactly in a natural environment I tend to give the weaker ones better odds when I can.

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi, I’m new to the thread, I live in New Tripoli, right in the Lehigh valley...... if anyone has good leads on chicks feel free to let me know please!

I’m fairly new to keeping chickens, so I’m open to anything..... I have 8acres of wooded land for them to roam, so I’m looking more for foragers to take care of all my ticks.

Welcome from Cambria county! How close are you to Pottstown? @dheltzel might be able to help you out if you're on that side of the state :) If you're on the western side, maybe I can help lol.

Back
Top Bottom