Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I am pretty sure he raised coturnix quail. they were nice sized..haha, maybe he just fed them well ;).
He would just wrap some heavy duty plastic or tarp around their cage, keeping the drafts off of them.
That worked for him, although I like your set up too, but that lamp has got to get pricey running all winter.
We would like to get into quail in the future, they are pretty easy going..not very long lived from what I understand, idk..maybe i am mistaken.
Have to finish the long run, get a roof on it before we set-out into any other adventures.
Have what we need for rabbits, just waiting for that roof, not getting soaked while taking care of the animals is tops on the list these days.

Mine are coturnix also and I've heard that they only live like 2 years or so? I always have heat lamps going anyway so it shouldn't be much different than normal around here lol

I was looking at the whistles. The hunting dog sites are my favorite. I wanted an old fashioned collar with the flat tags. Not only did I find the collar with nameplate only on the hunting sites, but I’m using Lion Country Supply from State College, and it’s cheaper. Win all the way around!

He was afraid to go inside, now he’s afraid to leave the back porch too. :confused: He did nose too close to the broody duck, but I really don’t think that’s it. <sigh> We have training and adapting to do. At least I did right putting up the dog kennel. He will go in himself.
I’m not sure about how to go with him. I don’t want to stop him from searching in case it doesn’t work out. He stinks at finding though, so why let him hunt? Do my questions make sense?
He balked at the back door, but walked right out the front. He was happy jumping around outside, and walked right inside when I told him to. :yesss:
He pooped on the floor. Not his fault. I got cocky, and while he’s limited on where he can go, I stopped making him stay leashed, and near me.

If he was raised as a hunting dog I wouldnt put much faith in him having been house trained much... plan to treat him like a pup starting out. Poor fellow is a bit off his game right now from all of the new stuff he is trying to absorb. Take him outside really frequently the first few days especially, Praise him generously for doing his business outside and make sure you get him outside within an hour after any food. He doesnt consider your house his 'home' or 'den' yet... once he does he should improve.
Give him restricted access to start, no time unattended unless he is in his crate. Once he start settling in you can expand his 'inside territory'... you should get a better sense of his overall attitude within a couple of days, and if he is intact you need to get him neutered. His hormones may be pretty established but it should help.

Yes, it’s been a while, but I’ve had to house break some stubborn dogs. I just got cocky.
I won’t be neutering him. If I do obtain his papers, I can let people use him to stud. There’s a pastor in town I know was looking for a local stud.

Understand... hopefully they will tolerate a bit of chill, running the high draw lamp 24/7 for a handful of birds from October till March cuts into the profit margin if they are slow layers in the winter. Good thing would be if they kept laying it would be quick turn over for meat in the winter since they are like 6 or 7 weeks for butcher.

I think @Sally Sunshine raised them for a while, not sure if she still does. Maybe she can give you a winter temp range to shoot for. I think she kept hers in the basement, but dont quote me on that, it was a few years ago.

Hi everyone! yes, quail need hay, they will burrow, but if you can, add some big round tubes of cardboard or even rolled up carpet (top side in) and add them with some hay on top, just so the entrance sticks up they will do fine without heat, they need to have ventilation like everything else, but close up those drafts down below!

I think I watched a youtube video on it years ago, let me see if its still there.

Hi everyone! yes, quail need hay, they will burrow, but if you can, add some big round tubes of cardboard or even rolled up carpet (top side in) and add them with some hay on top, just so the entrance sticks up they will do fine without heat, they need to have ventilation like everything else, but close up those drafts down below!

I think I watched a youtube video on it years ago, let me see if its still there.

Thanks Sally! :frow I knew you had them, glad you were able to help get Aurora started the right direction. :hugs:clap:bun

hi stranger:frow

Back
Top Bottom