Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Our older hens typically go on winter break about now until end of February. They still lay but at a drastically reduced rate. Seems like once molt starts everything slows. The older they are the slower they lay over the winter.
I wouldn't rule out the secret nest idea, but also check for parasites (internal and external) and check overall weight/body condition of the hens. We usually pull them off of the roost in the evening once in a while to do the condition check. You should also see new growth feathers on anyone molting, often it isn't obvious.

Pleased to announce that I got my first egg today. It turns out they are not all freeloaders after all! The egg is a nice brown, with a size at > 2.2 ounces. I assume it is from my Copper Marans, but I guess another hen could be laying an unexpected color. It is not as dark as some copper marans lay, but it is her first.
first-egg.jpg

Pleased to announce that I got my first egg today. It turns out they are not all freeloaders after all! The egg is a nice brown, with a size at > 2.2 ounces. I assume it is from my Copper Marans, but I guess another hen could be laying an unexpected color. It is not as dark as some copper marans lay, but it is her first.
View attachment 2356098
Congratulations! Sometimes, the first egg has much lighter color. My Welbar, Blue Bear, laid a light brown first egg, but her second egg was very dark brown. Most her eggs are chocolate dark brown, with some are slightly lighter, but none was light brown like the first one.

I'm confused about Sun. I thought she is broody, since she sits on wood eggs a lot. But if we take her out, she will run around with other girls. And she still lays a egg everyday. Is that possible she is sick, so she hides in nesting box? I found blood in someone's poop, so I started to treat them with Corid at 2 tsp per gallon water ratio. I started 2 days ago, but there is still blood in poop today. Should I increase the dose?

It is definitely from a Marans or Welbar. I expect the next ones to be much darker to confirm that. First eggs are sometimes "off" and should never be considered typical. My Marans pullets have similar genetics to yours, though some are older and they are laying very nice eggs now. Some are small (but usually extra dark) but many are now Marans-sized (meaning quite large).
Many days I am getting more eggs from my first year pullets than from the older hens, and that trend will continue, though the old Legbar hens are still doing quite well for being 4+ years old.

I'm confused about Sun. I thought she is broody, since she sits on wood eggs a lot. But if we take her out, she will run around with other girls. And she still lays a egg everyday. Is that possible she is sick, so she hides in nesting box? I found blood in someone's poop, so I started to treat them with Corid at 2 tsp per gallon water ratio. I started 2 days ago, but there is still blood in poop today. Should I increase the dose?

Some hens like to hang out in the best box for a while, especially if they're considering going broody but aren't quite there yet.

So Dennis,

I see all kinds of promising (inactivated) links on your website. Do you really have Mottled Ameraucanas, Opal Legbars, and Lavender Marans? I soooo need a bigger coop!! How hard is it to sex the Mottled Ameraucanas?
Yup, I hope to have all of them next year. Mottled Ameraucanas are exactly like the blacks, but the chicks are very cute. Lavender Marans are sexable at about 4 or 5 weeks, just like the Coppers. I should have blue and splash Copper Marans also. Personally, I prefer the look of the blue Coppers over the lavenders, but lavender is "the big deal" right now.
I will also have lots of lavender Cochin bantams, some frizzled. They also are sexable at a younger age because they have single combs (like Marans)

Some hens like to hang out in the best box for a while, especially if they're considering going broody but aren't quite there yet.

I'll keep a eye on her. Maybe she is partially broody, if that's possible. My son is very happy that he can catch her easily in the nesting box. :gigPoor girl growled at him, but never tried to peck him so she still got picked up and carried around.

Back
Top Bottom