Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I didn't know that you have English Orpingtons. I always want some Buff Orpingtons! Love their color! Do you only have Blue?

I have blue and splash and get an occasional black when I hatch. They're such big, friendly things :)

IMG_20190525_083642.jpg

Hi everyone! I'm from Delaware County (just southwest of Philadelphia) and have 4 ladies gearing up for their first winter in a big coop we just built. (It was 5 chickens until yesterday, but a neighbor's dog broke into our backyard and mortally wounded our Ameracauna in front of my preschooler and toddler (big drama for our quiet suburban neighborhood! Still working out some big feelings over here...))

Reading through this thread--I'm pretty much a southerner by PA standards and we haven't seen real snow in what feels like ages--I was figuring on just keeping with plenty of deep litter pine shavings in the coop and closing the windows/extra vents aside from the eave ventilation. Think that's enough to keep 4 ladies warm in a 56 sq ft coop? We have a fully roofed run--south wall is the coop and somewhat protected on the west by our house. We live in the woods--so it cuts the wind, but also keeps things from fully warming up during the day sometimes.

Nice to get to know you all!
Hi! I am not too far from you- Chester County, about a mile from Maryland. I had 5 in a coop that is 4X6 (not counting nesting box spaces) and they were fine last winter. Only 2-3 times did the small waterer I keep inside have a little ice on top, outside waterer is a different story. We do get a lot of wind being on top of hill and I used a tarp to cover 1/2 the run on the windy side and that also seemed to work well. Sorry you lost your Ameracauna.

I think even heavier here in the SE part of the state, followed by our first hard freeze Sat morning. I still have beautiful tomatoes, peppers, beans and squash, but that will all end this weekend.

My tomato plants already died after a hard frost two weeks ago. I already planted my gralics and winter crop ground cover. I'm ready for the cold weather. Haven't wrapped the coop and run yet, but all parts are here.

Back
Top Bottom