Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I found Sandhill on my own actually, and even downloaded their order form. But then I saw their minimums --25 chicks per order. That is a lot of chicks to have in my basement, and my hubby would probably draw the line there. On the other hand I did find a lovely sounding breeder in NY who will have Spitzhauben hatching eggs in the spring. The Sweet Chicken Homestead. Have any of you ever heard of them?
Never heard of Sweet Chicken Homestead. Order from Sand Hill and I will buy some with you. Or others in this forum that are close to you might want some. I could easily find 20 chicks that I want from Sand Hill.

You've got a deal. Anyone else from SE PA (chester/delaware/montgomery/phila county) want in on this?
I will email you about what to order and payment. If anyone near Delaware County is interested in a few rare chicks from Sand Hill, speak up. We should put in the order soon. Crazy as it seems to order so far in advance, they do get booked up quickly as they have breeds not available anywhere else.

Also, @feliciadawn , you mentioned making Favaucanas with your black Ameraucana roo. Those chicks would be as difficult to sex as true Ameraucanas because the pea comb is dominant over the Favorolles single comb, and the extended black genes will completely hide the wheaten color from the hens. Wheaten chicks are sexable early by their colors (not at hatch, but a few weeks). If you wanted that in your Favaucanas, you would need a Wheaten Ameraucana. Those exist, but are scarce. When I had them they were really inbred or something, I could not get them to reproduce.

Not intending to rain on your Favaucana plans. If you want some valuable chicks that are sexable, get barred pullets. Eggs from your Legbar and Welbar will hatch into black sexlinks, easily sexable at hatch or at most a week old. They will lay blue or green eggs (depending on what pullet laid them). Eggs from your Marans will be great Olive Eggers, but not readily sexable.

Sadly, I am limited because I can just maintain the one rooster, and he is a black ameraucana. Not willing to trade him in -- he is our favorite chicken. So it seems any chicks I hatch of my own will be hard to sex. I am thinking maybe if I have a bunch together, I will be able to differentiate by leg size? We all live and learn.

***** All EXCEPT DENNIS: I am filling out the sandhill sheet tonight and sending out tomorrow. Please direct message me if you want in. ******

My daughter and I were messing with the Cricut again tonight... this time with vinyl. We made wall decals and a small one for my coffee cup.

I made these two

20201209_182440.jpg

20201209_081801.jpg

My daughter made this one since her room is beach themed

20201209_182324.jpg

Back
Top Bottom