Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I’m lovin all these heated waterer options that have been posted! My main coop is so far from the house, I just can’t see me running electric to it. So I Keep several waterers and change them out throughout the day when it’s freezing. Not the best fix, but with the shorter days, it’s not too bad.

We never bothered to put the plow on the tractor....DS and I may have to figure that out today and since I'm going to tractor supply, that thing needs tire chains :/ I guess that means o better get moving early. I have 2 custom orders and a tutu to do first thing today, after I run out to get the right fabric. Today is DH's last day of the fall semester so he has to finish up his programming project which may take all day :/

Erie is shorts weather, and no snow.

Erie may still be showing a warmer air temp due to the lake effect. Often into late fall/early winter the lake acts as a 'heat sink' for the immediate shoreline area. The mass of water remains in the 50s or even higher (depending on number of wind events) through the fall, creating a bit of a bubble of warmer air around it. The benefit is quickly lost if a lot of windy days but it happens. The reverse happens in the spring, lake temps in the 30s and 40s cause quite a chill in the air (amplified greatly if breezes come across it from the north) that even sunny May days can feel pretty cool, even downright cold if there is a north wind, when a few miles inland the temps are in the 70s.
The lake is big enough to create its own micro climate in its immediate area. Many, many times I have seen Erie have no snow at all but just a few miles south experiencing blizzard conditions as the moist air coming across the lake finally rises and cools enough to drop its snow. Once the lake cools enough to be at or near prevailing air temps the bubble is broke and conditions are the same throughout the area.

@TillyPeeps That must have been terrifying, seeing the hawk attack right in front of you. How is your flock? Anyone get injured?

Thanks for the kind words. They are all good. The hawk was not fast enough to get anyone. All girls were so scared and were hiding under the coop whole day. I’m quarantining at home now. One colleague tested positive for COVID-19, so I got tested and still waiting for results. Nobody is sick in our house, so hopefully I’m ok and can go back to work soon. Only good part is that I can spend more time with the girls and don’t need to worry about the weather tomorrow. But the 1st graders online class really drove me nuts. Feel bad for their poor teacher!:bow

Thanks for the kind words. They are all good. The hawk was not fast enough to get anyone. All girls were so scared and were hiding under the coop whole day. I’m quarantining at home now. One colleague tested positive for COVID-19, so I got tested and still waiting for results. Nobody is sick in our house, so hopefully I’m ok and can go back to work soon. Only good part is that I can spend more time with the girls and don’t need to worry about the weather tomorrow. But the 1st graders online class really drove me nuts. Feel bad for their poor teacher!:bow

Hopefully your test is negative and you get back to normal soon! Stay warm tomorrow!

Alrighty Peeps... spent today tarping my little heart out. I never did build a proper ‘run’ for my Guinnea/Polish coop, so I‘ll be surprised if what’s out there doesn’t just blow away. We also managed to rake up and store some dry leaves to add to the runs if it gets too snowy or mucky.

And....This gorgeous fellow is intended to be my number 1 guy...he’s filling out quite nicely.

C90290D0-C6FA-4BB2-AB2F-2A49667F0EF5.jpeg

Alrighty Peeps... spent today tarping my little heart out. I never did build a proper ‘run’ for my Guinnea/Polish coop, so I‘ll be surprised if what’s out there doesn’t just blow away. We also managed to rake up and store some dry leaves to add to the runs if it gets too snowy or mucky.

And....This gorgeous fellow is intended to be my number 1 guy...he’s filling out quite nicely.

View attachment 2450946

Hopefully event holds together for you! That's a handsome guy! What breed is he? Kinda reminds me of my Hercules (English Orpington)

20201110_124920.jpg

DH managed to get his school work done early so he and DS put the chains on the tractor tires and swapped the mower deck for the plow. The old gravely is now in snow mode :) We did rent a movie from the redbox last night too so we need to get that returned down in town before this white mess shows up.

Back
Top Bottom