Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I ain’t crazy enough to go out there again. The birds were okay at five, and it was dark soon after.
7751AC19-8656-4F12-9D0E-52AC1D617B41.jpeg E4A6A472-4F9C-4550-B898-79DA3E80FB7E.jpeg

We're up to 8" so far. It seems that the snow has piled up faster since it got dark out. Here's one of the chairs out back.

View attachment 2452170

DD, helping me close up the coops

View attachment 2452179

DD has been a really good sport today and is loving it. She insisted on plowing the driveway earlier and had fun doing it. She'll probably be doing it again in the morning lol.

Good for her! I can't believe how much she looks like you now!
I ended up going with DH to get the snow blower, cleared the driveway about 6pm and by 830 you couldn't tell anymore.

Last measure was 12", it's not worth going out their in the freezing cold to check anymore... besides, after about the first 10" of snow does it really matter anymore? :gig

Good Point! 😝 Hope your drive in today is a safe one.

@OneMountainAcres Yes! Our boy is an Orpington. He was supposed to be ‘imported’ -at least that’s what I paid for...and he seems to be filling out quite nicely, but the black pullet that I got from the same Breeder has a tail so high...she looks like she’s part Langshan :he

D0D0461C-01D8-4442-A2E8-53953DB1E790.jpeg

@OneMountainAcres Yes! Our boy is an Orpington. He was supposed to be ‘imported’ -at least that’s what I paid for...and he seems to be filling out quite nicely, but the black pullet that I got from the same Breeder has a tail so high...she looks like she’s part Langshan :he

View attachment 2452662

I see, that is a high tail! I love orpingtons. They're such big floofy things lol

This is my best girl. She's huge and has so much poof to her lol

20201110_124505.jpg
20201110_124357.jpg

These are the other two. They're nowhere near as gorgeous but the blue was in desperate need of a molt when I took this and Dottie, the splash, was right in the middle of hers. She was so bad that at one point, she looked almost plucked for the oven lol

20201110_124009.jpg

I measured fifteen inches in most places, and twenty-three in others. I’ll go with too much. :thumbsup
I trudged out to the road, and a truck threw sludge and salt in my face. Yeay! :p
I have noticed that as long as I make an effort, a neighbor behind me will come with his truck to get me out if he has time. Like most landscaping companies, he does snow removal too.
Now if I could just get mail and packages... Okay, I’m not holding my breath. :lol:

There is too much snow in the front area. The quail are dry, but there’s an actual pile about a foot wide in the front. I’ll cover higher in the front before the next storm.
238548E3-E7B3-4FC7-B49F-15B87DA4DE3A.jpeg

Do I have to go back to the house? It was so nice in the coop! I have them scratching around for food in the coop. I have to fill and bring this back down later.
D470080D-589F-49D0-A42D-D24F4D0FE3D9.jpeg

This is Jim Steinman. I still don’t love him, but he’s not a waste of feed yet. You see the fun they have been having in the storage area.
ED27DBE5-E46A-4B78-B46B-D13DC1F23B34.jpeg

View attachment 2452662
I think she’s beautiful!❤ Will you be hatching any of her eggs in spring? I have no idea where to get nice Orpingtons around here. I’m near Oxford.

P.S:Very very thankful we got much less snow in southern Chester County. It turned to rain about 1 hour after sunset yesterday. Left about 3 inches with a hard icy crust. My birds don’t know what to do with it!🥰
5BC40120-D79E-4778-AA1D-2D8653A77AC0.jpeg

C4FF0032-651D-4352-BEF2-BFAAD0EA7B45.jpeg

99118AAD-1332-4B14-89A9-BB87A0B6C006.jpeg

We got somewhere between 6 and 8 inches, hard to measure with drifting. Hard surfaces are cleared -- I love having a snow blower.
Only 1 dead bird today, and he was sick and very much on his way out. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, but I like to give them a chance, I've had some that I *knew* were goners make a full recovery. The first cold, wet weather, or snow, generally takes out some of the less vigorous chickens. Never hurts the ducks, turkeys, guineas or peafowl, just chickens.

Back
Top Bottom