Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello! It's been a while, & now I've spent an hour looking through back posts & admiring everyone's recent pictures.

Things are pretty good here. We didn't get new chicks this year, so not much pecking order drama. And we've had a couple close calls with predators, but no fatalities. My Cream Legbar (born spring '21) stopped laying in July though, & I don't know why. No sign of sickness - just no eggs either. And my oft-broody Marans has decided to hide her eggs from me lately. I found a clutch of 11 yesterday, and just feel lucky she's not trying to hatch them at the moment. (Knock on wood...)

That's about it. Just gearing up for winter and the holidays. I love all everybody's pics on here!

This was the entire egg production on Saturday - from at least 200 hens and pullets.
The Welbars and Ayam cemani are the only ones laying reasonably well. It was nice to start getting eggs from the Legbars and Copper Marans, mostly from pullets that are just starting to lay.
The only eggs I am incubating now are from the Olive Eggers. That project is still far from finished, but I might start offering some chicks from this project next year. I love the spotting on them, I will probably select for that as I get enough eggs to be picky about what I choose to incubate - for now, every green egg goes into the incubator.

Eggs-221105.jpg

This was the entire egg production on Saturday - from at least 200 hens and pullets.
The Welbars and Ayam cemani are the only ones laying reasonably well. It was nice to start getting eggs from the Legbars and Copper Marans, mostly from pullets that are just starting to lay.
The only eggs I am incubating now are from the Olive Eggers. That project is still far from finished, but I might start offering some chicks from this project next year. I love the spotting on them, I will probably select for that as I get enough eggs to be picky about what I choose to incubate - for now, every green egg goes into the incubator.

View attachment 3316572
Beautiful eggs Dennis.
Loving that extra drk one there!:love
Reminds me of our "chickadee" , she would lay the most beautiful-drk eggs.
She was a project from Chad. That was a life time ago on here, fun times though.
One of the BEST chickens anyone could ask for, wish he was still "projecting":lol::D.
She acted more like a dog than a chicken!
Best of luck with your project!! Looking forward to seeing those chicks in the spring!
Love the spots too.
:pop
Danielle

I have about 4 big English Orpington hens. If you wanted a couple I'd give you two of them. They're a few years old and don't lay well anymore but they're big beautiful girls. I have 2 blue and 2 splash and no rooster anymore.

View attachment 3314522View attachment 3314523View attachment 3314525View attachment 3314526View attachment 3314527
OMA- That is a very kind offer.
They are beautiful birds!!!
Big and fluffy!!:love, just what an Orp should look like:thumbsup(JMO)
We did have to think this one over though!! LOL!!
Our girls are getting older too and that is why we are going to keep looking into a younger set.
I hate when they hit this stage, we keep them around, because I am a softee anymore..LOL, I think it helps having the older girls around the teach the younger girls how to be settled ..IDK..they just seem to adjust better that way.
They find their place faster in the yard..if that makes any sense.
Thank you so much for your offer, Your making me wish I had a rooster!:lol:

View attachment 3316572
Beautiful eggs! Cannot wait to see what kind of eggs will Little Dragon lay. She is a really sweet heart, so it doesn't matter what color is her eggs or even if she doesn't lay egg at all. :love I'm surprised that she doesn't have a crest though, while all my other olive eggers have crests.

Beautiful eggs Dennis.
Loving that extra drk one there!:love
Reminds me of our "chickadee" , she would lay the most beautiful-drk eggs.
She was a project from Chad. That was a life time ago on here, fun times though.
One of the BEST chickens anyone could ask for, wish he was still "projecting":lol::D.
She acted more like a dog than a chicken!
Best of luck with your project!! Looking forward to seeing those chicks in the spring!
Love the spots too.
:pop
Danielle
I never thought any chicken would act like a dog, until I got Pepsi the black ameraucana from Dennis! :D She will cuddle and loves to be petted, but most time she just wants to play. She is so curious and will check everything I threw away or dropped. She used to bite me to get attention, but learned that I don't like it, so she put my finger in her mouth without any pressure on it instead. I never could imagine a chicken can do that!

I never thought any chicken would act like a dog, until I got Pepsi the black ameraucana from Dennis! :D She will cuddle and loves to be petted, but most time she just wants to play. She is so curious and will check everything I threw away or dropped. She used to bite me to get attention, but learned that I don't like it, so she put my finger in her mouth without any pressure on it instead. I never could imagine a chicken can do that!
You should make a video of her doing those things. Chicken videos sometimes go viral on Youtube and make a lot of money - or at least get a lot of views.

I am really glad they all came through, I was worried like you were that first day.

Hello my fellow chester county and berks county friends. A friend of mine is looking for a rooster to fill the void after losing his to a predator. Preferably over a year old. If you know of anyone send me a message.

Back
Top Bottom