Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So sorry to hear that the Selenium and vitamin E didn't work. I lost 2 grown hens to illness this summer, as well as some young pullets and just last week one of my favorites just flat out disappeared. I assume it was a hawk -- she was my smallest (a Mille Fleur D'Uccle.). I am rather heartbroken with all the losses. Mine all have names and are considered family members.

I personally am not seeing a different loss (from disease) ratio between the Marek vaccinated and the unvaccinated ones. Maybe I have something else going around.
It makes a huge difference for me after the chickens got vaccination. My most unvaccinated chickens died from Marek within first two years. None of my vaccinated one died yet (except two killed by a fox). They do have respiration disease too, but it's not so fatal. Water is the only one possibly have Marek after vaccination.

My coop is in wood area, so hawk never got any my chicken. I have electric fence around their run, that stopped fox.

I am really sorry to hear of your losses and ongoing issues, truly.
Do hear of this being an issue now, more than in the past ..I dont know..2-3 years?
It just seems like to me anyway, that I am reading more of this being an issue, maybe because im conscious of it.
Not sure, just seems to be an issue more people are having within their flocks.
And some are having are having mixed results or confusion as to how effective the vaccine is, or how the rest of the unvaccinated flock is affected....or even if they are infected with Mareks at all.
I guess without actual testing, we wouldn't know 100%. But that is a personal decision.
We all love and care for our feather heads the best we can :love ;):D

I have two girls that like to stuff food into their nose holes..yeah..into their nose holes.:th...we ferment..I don't for the life of me know why they are doing this, using their heads as shovels or WHAT?!?! But, I am out there clearing out nose holes of fermented food....
The one girl has it so nice that now she has given herself a sinus issue. :he
Toddlers with feathers...yep. I am just about done with this one...only soooo much of chicken snot and ferment one is going to deal with.
If anyone has a idea about THAT one, i am all ears..besides changing the food....we have done that and as soon as we bring back the ferment...well, you can guess the rest of the story.
Thank you for your patients and sorry for the very long post.
Hope you all a very great rest of the week!! Good Luck to those with continued issues.
Danielle

I stopped giving fermented food last winter, and my Marans developed a very bad yeast infection and diarrhea. So I still give them fermented feed even it's 0 degree out side. I use new country organic feed, which has whole grains and is fermented well, and I never had issue with it. I never fermented fully processed feed, so I don't know how chicken eat it.

Fermented is great.
Thats why we are not changing it.
The rest of the girls are not having any issues because they are not goof heads.

Most chickens dont use their noses as shovels..IDK..how she is getting that food up her nose holes but it is cause her real issues that I can not contain now.
Their whole systems benefit from it, that just what we have experienced from using it. Now, when the temps drop so low ..to make it freeze in the shed we have.
We keep it in coolers with bottles of hot water to keep the process going.
It works..
But the temps get so low sometimes that stuff freezes, has to get very severe, then we switch to pellets. Don't like doing it, but has to be dome.
The ferment just freezes right in the bowl anyway.
When we do switch..wow, big difference in their poo , yuck..not the big "cupcake" plops we are used to cleaning up.
So much easier!!
We use sand for our coop, big ol' cat-box-like set-up..real easy.
Anyway...fermenting is awesome and worth the little extra time!!

**A question** I have some Tylan..I have been throwing around the idea of giving the girl with sinus issue (from the food impaction) a dose or two of this.
I have removed the food...but she has caused a sinus issue...bubbles ..no coughing or anything like that. This is totally from her putting food up into her head.
Does anyone have any other suggestions..??

Thank you for youe time and again, sorry for long post.
Have a great one everyone!!
Truly-
Danielle

I'm really not an expert for antibiotics, but I think it's worth to try. I always keep this one in stock for my chickens:

https://allbirdproducts.com/collect...ions/products/copy-of-doxy-tyl-powder-generic

It works good.
yeah, I was thinking "why not" also.
Some days she is clear and like this morning she had bubbles...cause she was "shoveling" again.:rolleyes:..At this point , I am like whatever...so, I will be giving that a try.
I do have another thing up the sleeve to try, but keeping that as last resort.
It does no-good if she is just going to keep doing the same thing over & over.
Thank you for all the feedback, much appreciated!!
Take care everyone!!
Boy did that temp. drop or what?!
At least the sun is out!:love:clap
Danielle

Back
Top Bottom