Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

@dheltzel what ever happened with that silkie feathered ameraucana that hatched last year? Did it survive and grow out? I've had multiple requests lately. I'm still waiting for my old silkie feathered hen to start laying again.
It died pretty young. I have done my best to put the pen back together that produced that chick and will be watching all the chicks that hatch from that pen to see if any more happen. If I find any, I will put them with less aggressive brooder mates to give them a better chance.

dheltzel
How far along is your hybrid duck project? Are you getting calm ducklings?

Sure would be nice to have a steady supply of duck eggs without the flighty ducks.

It died pretty young. I have done my best to put the pen back together that produced that chick and will be watching all the chicks that hatch from that pen to see if any more happen. If I find any, I will put them with less aggressive brooder mates to give them a better chance.

Aww. It happens. I keep waiting for my old girl to lay again and hopefully the eggs will be viable. She's still kicking though!

20230218_084219.jpg

dheltzel
How far along is your hybrid duck project? Are you getting calm ducklings?

Sure would be nice to have a steady supply of duck eggs without the flighty ducks.
First eggs are going in the incubator tomorrow, so a long way from seeing if their personality is better than campbells. I moved my best looking Shetlands into a new pen where they are up off the ground like the bantam ducks, on the theory that they should get tamer like the bantams, so far it is not happening. I give them treats and fresh water in their pool each day. That has always made the bantam breeds more trusting and eager for me to come see them. They even greet me loudly when they see me, but the Shetlands are not having it. When they were only a pair in a large run with turkeys and geese, they seemed better. Not sure what is going on.

First eggs are going in the incubator tomorrow, so a long way from seeing if their personality is better than campbells. I moved my best looking Shetlands into a new pen where they are up off the ground like the bantam ducks, on the theory that they should get tamer like the bantams, so far it is not happening. I give them treats and fresh water in their pool each day. That has always made the bantam breeds more trusting and eager for me to come see them. They even greet me loudly when they see me, but the Shetlands are not having it. When they were only a pair in a large run with turkeys and geese, they seemed better. Not sure what is going on.
After breeding season, put half a dozen of your tamest bantams in with them and let the bantams show the Shetlands that you are indeed nice to be around.

I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I am not sure how much of a "gift" this is really..🤔🤔.
This warm weather is changing everything in the yard and I don't like it, it's too early.
Have to keep reminding my brain it's only FERUARY!!!
The garlic is popping up already, the fruit trees are budding, this is NOT good...nope-nope-nope.
***I was going to throw more mulch over the greens to hide them from the light, what do you all think???
The tulip & Daffodils are coming up also.
If it got cold, real cold and stopped things right now, there would be a chance for fruit yet, but if things keep going the way they are...I know there will be a late freeze , there always is, and then..man..
Anyway, on a much more happy note, the girls have been laying !!!:love
Which is awesome!!
We have eggs throughout the year, when they are laying like crazy we freeze eggs, so no issue with having them when we need them most in the winter, but it is so very nice to have FRESH cracking eggs!!!
Their boyfriend can't get here soon enough and get those new babies hatching!!:jumpy:jumpy:lau
Someone in the neighborhood let their tame-pet rabbits loose, because they were "done" with them ..:mad:, so DH and I have been trying to catch these things for awhile now and haven't had any luck..been close though.
We have a rabbit set-up already to go, just thought it so VERY irresponsible of these "people", anyway..if anyone has any ideas and I don't care how crazy it sounds at this point because we have tried MANY things to get these two..we would be greatly appreciative of your input!!
We are not going to eat them, just throwing that out there, LOL...going to keep them as fun-loves for our Grandaughter. :love:lol:
Have a Happy Mardi Gras!!

Someone in the neighborhood let their tame-pet rabbits loose, because they were "done" with them ..:mad:, so DH and I have been trying to catch these things for awhile now and haven't had any luck..been close though.
We have a rabbit set-up already to go, just thought it so VERY irresponsible of these "people", anyway..if anyone has any ideas and I don't care how crazy it sounds at this point because we have tried MANY things to get these two..we would be greatly appreciative of your input!!

This is how we ended up with our pet rabbit Oreo. Someone had left them loose because they were sick of them and a neighbor managed to catch them. He brought them to a swap and gave them away. No clue how he managed to catch them though. We know there's someone down in town that let's their domestic rabbits all run loose too. It's sad to see them running all over the road in the mornings. Do you have some no kill traps that you could try to bait for them? Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom