Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

When I got my chicks from them two years ago, the only chick died was my Houdan. I was so sad, since she was the one my son really wanted. And all my chicks had some respiratory disease (maybe MG?). I think it might from my Dorking, since they got rid of their Dorkings a couple months later. Now my entire flock has it. Luckily, it's a very mild strain and only cause some sneezing and runny nose.
MS/MG is treatable, and while they still technically are carriers, I have never found a relapse in a flock after treatment or just recovery. There is a vaccine and maybe infection is sort of a vaccination as well.
I looked into the vaccine, but it is very expensive and will result in a positive test the rest of the bird's life. Since vaccinated birds are so rare, it would be hard to explain that the positive test results are actually good.

My black ameraucana pullet, Water, is on tube feeding for over a month or two now, and she just laid an egg in her cage today! I take her out to free range every morning after tube feeding and take her back to the cage and tube feed her every evening. She is able to walk around with other chickens even though she is slow and often walk in circles. But she has trouble to eat even she keeps trying. With her nerve damage, she barely can get feed in her beak. She could peck on feed for an hour and still had an empty crop. My question is: should I add calcium powder to her baby bird formula, which doesn't show how much calcium in it? I never thought I would need to worry about a chicken on tube feeding laying eggs. :th

@TillyPeeps that's great she laid an egg! No clue on the calcium. My best idea would be to see how her shells hold up. If they seem too thin or soft, add a little calcium and slowly work on adjusting it over time.

I have my own special needs girl (I hope girl). This is Hershey. She's a black copper Marans and is blind. At least mostly blind. She can't see anything waved in front of her face and gets around by feeling but she can girl see or sense light. She gravitates towards the window when it's bright and sunny out and sometimes looks like she's pecking at invisible floating objects in the air when there's bright light. She was really excited about the flash when I took her picture and came running lol. Don't mind the messy brooder. I just moved a bunch of babies out to a different brooder and just needed to clean it out.

20230419_093541.jpg

20230419_093552.jpg
20230419_093712.jpg

@TillyPeeps that's great she laid an egg! No clue on the calcium. My best idea would be to see how her shells hold up. If they seem too thin or soft, add a little calcium and slowly work on adjusting it over time.

I have my own special needs girl (I hope girl). This is Hershey. She's a black copper Marans and is blind. At least mostly blind. She can't see anything waved in front of her face and gets around by feeling but she can girl see or sense light. She gravitates towards the window when it's bright and sunny out and sometimes looks like she's pecking at invisible floating objects in the air when there's bright light. She was really excited about the flash when I took her picture and came running lol. Don't mind the messy brooder. I just moved a bunch of babies out to a different brooder and just needed to clean it out.

View attachment 3473462
View attachment 3473463View attachment 3473465
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about just watching her too, just not quite sure.

Hershey is adorable! Is she able to eat herself or you need to hand feed her? I think she is a girl. When my marans feathered out at 5w old, she already had a large pink comb which made me to think she was a roo until she laid an egg. Marans tends to have comb develop early. I'm surprised that your cat was behind this chick peacefully! I had my cat sneaked into Water's room one time, and she tried to attack Water and pulled some feathers from outside the cage.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about just watching her too, just not quite sure.

Hershey is adorable! Is she able to eat herself or you need to hand feed her? I think she is a girl. When my marans feathered out at 5w old, she already had a large pink comb which made me to think she was a roo until she laid an egg. Marans tends to have comb develop early. I'm surprised that your cat was behind this chick peacefully! I had my cat sneaked into Water's room one time, and she tried to attack Water and pulled some feathers from outside the cage.

She can eat all on her own. I had to teach her how to eat. I thought she was just a wilted chick that hasn't learned how to eat when she was just a couple days old but once I dipped her break in the water for the first time she went nuts for it. I watched her stumble backwards and not be able to find it again. That's how a figured out she was blind. God took a little more effort to teach but she's got it down now. She knows in her brooder and where the food and water dishes are now and can eat and drink on her own.

Don't let Ollie full you! He is FAR from innocent... he knows he's not allowed to get the chicks but he and his sister are both guilty of trying lol. She was never in danger though, I had her the whole time. Here's the picture you didn't see where he's being bad lol

20230419_093545.jpg

OK. Help me out here.
My research is coming to the conclusion that sweetgrass turkeys are descendants of ronquiere turkeys. I have what is being called ronquiere, is genetic testing the only way to know for sure.
Since I am raising these for breeding purpose I should be positive of what I have here. I got a feeling this quest is gonna cost me a lot to find out.

I am terrible at research, I need to reread things multiple times for it to stay in my head more than 5 minutes.

Give a SHOUT!!
ya.gif

list
----------
Tonini3059
Scoop
Howipinchapenny
SunAngel
ChickyLuara
Kbarret
dirtybug
Whenchickensdream