Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Does anyone else think he could be a golden-duckwing OEG cockerel cross here? Brown leghorn cross? Because I am completely at a loss as to what he could be at this point at 4 months old??

View attachment 3683734
Little or no genes from either of those breeds, this is an "Easter Egger" from a commercial hatchery (clue is the comb). That is the catch-all term for mixed up breeds that lay different colored eggs. Hens are usually good layers, but roosters tend to be people aggressive because they don't bother to select for well mannered cockerels.

Since my less than successful experiences with silkied Ameraucanas, I have stayed away from silkied birds, but this past summer I did a trade and ended up with some silkied Cochin bantams. So far I like them and they seem hardy here. Their show type could be improved, but I can do that. The biggest reason I prefer cochins over silkies is their single combs allow me to sex them much earlier. The only thing that draws me to silkies is their unique feathers, so these silkied cochins could be the best of both. It is a plus that they are still super rare, almost unknown, in the hobby, and you all know how I like to breed the really rare stuff!
Yeah, those silkied feathered chickens seems fragile. Right now, I'm quite worried about the two silkies I ordered. If they don't do well, I may never get any silkied chickens again.

I never knew silkied Cochin existing. They sounds really fun!

Got our first snow this morning. I hate winter and am kind of sad to see it come. Fortunately, it all melted already.
Guess I need to put the winterizing of the coops into high gear now.

**knocking on door) um.. hi..I don't live in PA anymore but could I be an honorary yinzer and hear about yall loving my state? I came to PA before I turned 2. We lived over there by Gettysburg, then we drove the turnpike to Washington County when I turned 6 until 23. I'm in NC now but my family is still in Washington and Westmoreland Counties.

I just wanted to say hi to my PA peeps. Your flocks are gorgeous!!!

**knocking on door) um.. hi..I don't live in PA anymore but could I be an honorary yinzer and hear about yall loving my state? I came to PA before I turned 2. We lived over there by Gettysburg, then we drove the turnpike to Washington County when I turned 6 until 23. I'm in NC now but my family is still in Washington and Westmoreland Counties.

I just wanted to say hi to my PA peeps. Your flocks are gorgeous!!!
Once a yinzer always a yinzer, you've just been transplanted to NC. I've never been to NC but I hear it's quite pretty!
https://www.pittsburghbeautiful.com...phrases-only-pittsburghers-really-understand/

Back
Top Bottom